cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore Exchange databases from old versions of Exchange and Backup Exec

Bryan_Hunt
Level 3

Hello,

One of my clients finds themselves needing to find some emails from their Exchange server from some period in the past. 

Their current email environment is Exchange 2007 with Backup Exec 12.5.

We have several issues with this restore:
- We are not sure of the exact dates, so several restores/searches will need to be done.
- Some of the dates are when they had an Exchange 2003 server, which no longer exists.
- Most of the backups were done with earlier versions of Backup Exec, either 10d or 11d.

All backups were done via the BE agent.

Certainly the easiest route would be if we could restore the priv.edb and priv.stm files without an exchange server being involved.  We could then use an EDB offline search tool to find what we need.  But, from what I have read in the KB and forums, it doesn't seem like that is possible if the BE agent was used to do the backup?  Is that correct?

Assuming yes, then my question is, what is the most generic(efficient) way to restore these databases, multiple times from multiple Exchange versions and BE versions?

Can we restore to the Exchange 2007 server in a new storage group?  Or does it have to be restored to a E2k3 server?

Thanks.

Bryan Hunt

4 REPLIES 4

brew
Level 2
I am looking at the same scenario, except I'm trying to restore from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2007.  Looking forward to an answer.

brew
Level 2

I thought Symantec Tech Support was supposed to be lurking in here.  Any takers on this problem?

Turls
Level 6
Your question has been escalated to the Support team.

@brew, Symantec Tech Support is constantly lurking in here, but considering their hectic work schedule along with the community traffic, not every question would get their attention on time...so please bear with the delays.

Todd_Kramer
Not applicable

@Swathi   I too have this problem.  It's been 41 weeks now.  Any chance someone at Symantec will answer soon?