cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore Exchange mailbox

haruko13
Level 3

Hello,

I'm experiencing some problem when restoring an Exchange mailbox via Backup Exec 2010 R3.  One of our clients deleted all her emails from the sent items in her Outlook and we were not able to recover the emails using the "Recover Deleted Items" feature in Outlook.  So we followed the instructions and first created a recovery database via EMS and create a restore job via Backup Exec.  During the "staging" phase, I see the EDB is increasing in size in the TEMP directory that was setup as a default in Veritas, but in the folder where the recovery database directories are residing (the database and log files), I only see a EDB file of approximately 8MB.  When the actual restore job starts, my selection of restore went directly to the LIVE DATABASE instead of my RECOVERY DATABASE.  And one more thing I noticed is that, the restore job would stopped and failed at a certain point with the following error:

Restore- \\EXCHANGESERVER\Microsoft Information Store\RDB EXCHANGESERVERV-79-57344-65298 - The Exchange Store service is not responding. Backup set canceled.

RestoreV-79-57344-65072 - Connection to the restore target has been lost.  Operation canceled.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

P.S.  We are in an environment running Backup Exec 2010 R3 and Microsoft Exchange 2010

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

That means you are able to restore single individual email or mailbox ,I would recommend for your other issue restoring to recovery database you can open a case for further investigation.

Thanks

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

Have seen this issue in BE 2012 were restore should go to recovery database but overwrite the production database in that case reloading from base for backup exec database ,helped to fix the issue & restore run as expected

I will suggest to open a formal case with symantec were we can investigate this issue further

In mean while ,If this is GRT backup then please do single mailbox or email restore from backup exec restore selection to same mailbox or by redirecting to different mailbox. Only ensure if backup is on tape then it will stage the entire mailbox database on local drive of media server and then will restore ,if you don't have enough of space you can duplicate backup from tape to disk & then perform restore from disk directly

Thanks

haruko13
Level 3

Hello,

Thanks for the comment.

I've also trie restoring from tape to an alternate mailbox but same thing - the restore job failed with error... tried restoring another mailbox and it seems to be working fine with this method (not recovery database).

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

That means you are able to restore single individual email or mailbox ,I would recommend for your other issue restoring to recovery database you can open a case for further investigation.

Thanks

haruko13
Level 3

Thank you - we will proceed to open a case.