Highlighted

Restore Fails when DiskBasedDevice went in Read-Only state due to insufficient capacity.

I am using Backup Exec 15 for backup/restore from Windows Client.

Can anyone confirm if Backup Exec 15 needs to write some data on "Disk Based Storege", even when restore is performed?

I have taken a full backup on Disk Based Device(configured over network; \\192.168.136.xx\filesystem\).

After backup, changed the "filesystem" on host from Read/Write to Read-Only.

Then performed restore of data from the same, which failed with error as below:

Job ended: Tuesday, December 8, 2015 at 11:37:09 PM Completed status: Failed Final error: 0xe0008105 - Invalid Physical Volume Library Media Identifier. Final error category: Job Errors For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33029

I expected that restore will be successful.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Accepted Solution!

Did you test the restore

Did you test the restore before changing the permissions as something else good be occurring and you don't have a known working condition to compare with (Known as a Control to scientists)

BTW Veritas won't do any official testing of a B2D where the file system has been changed to read only as we would expect it to be read write - you can manually set the BEDB to Read Only operations inside Backup Exec but you should not change the file system permissions.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Accepted Solution!

Did you test the restore

Did you test the restore before changing the permissions as something else good be occurring and you don't have a known working condition to compare with (Known as a Control to scientists)

BTW Veritas won't do any official testing of a B2D where the file system has been changed to read only as we would expect it to be read write - you can manually set the BEDB to Read Only operations inside Backup Exec but you should not change the file system permissions.

View solution in original post

Yes, restore before changing

Yes, restore before changing permissions to read-only was successful.

Permissions were changed to simulate disk full state.

If I revert filesystem to read-only state, restore is successful.

But I would like to confirm if this is behavior of Backup Exec with all compatible Storage Devices.