cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore Fails when DiskBasedDevice went in Read-Only state due to insufficient capacity.

saurabh_khandel
Level 2

I am using Backup Exec 15 for backup/restore from Windows Client.

Can anyone confirm if Backup Exec 15 needs to write some data on "Disk Based Storege", even when restore is performed?

I have taken a full backup on Disk Based Device(configured over network; \\192.168.136.xx\filesystem\).

After backup, changed the "filesystem" on host from Read/Write to Read-Only.

Then performed restore of data from the same, which failed with error as below:

Job ended: Tuesday, December 8, 2015 at 11:37:09 PM Completed status: Failed Final error: 0xe0008105 - Invalid Physical Volume Library Media Identifier. Final error category: Job Errors For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33029

I expected that restore will be successful.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Did you test the restore before changing the permissions as something else good be occurring and you don't have a known working condition to compare with (Known as a Control to scientists)

BTW Veritas won't do any official testing of a B2D where the file system has been changed to read only as we would expect it to be read write - you can manually set the BEDB to Read Only operations inside Backup Exec but you should not change the file system permissions.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Did you test the restore before changing the permissions as something else good be occurring and you don't have a known working condition to compare with (Known as a Control to scientists)

BTW Veritas won't do any official testing of a B2D where the file system has been changed to read only as we would expect it to be read write - you can manually set the BEDB to Read Only operations inside Backup Exec but you should not change the file system permissions.

saurabh_khandel
Level 2

Yes, restore before changing permissions to read-only was successful.

Permissions were changed to simulate disk full state.

If I revert filesystem to read-only state, restore is successful.

But I would like to confirm if this is behavior of Backup Exec with all compatible Storage Devices.