cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore Fails with error e00084af

maitakeboy
Level 4

I am trying to do a restore of a number of files from a server which is no longer in service, as I moved them to my new file server. Though I have the tape with the data, I keep getting an immediate error e00084af: The directory or file was not found, or could not be accessed.

I'm assuming the issue is that the server is no longer in service so somehow the authentication to acess the files on the tape is not working. I assume there must be some workaround?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

maitakeboy
Level 4

Thanks everyone for the responses.

@lmosla: These were just flat files. Nothing fancy. I am running BE2010R3. I'm not quite sure what you mean by:  Did you try duplicating the data to disk and then doing the restore to the file server?

Iwas able to do a workaround by restoring to the local media server then just copying back to the file server. This would seem to indicate some sort of authentication issue with my file server. So I tested another restore of files whose source was the file server and whose target was the file server, and that completed successfully, so that would seem to indicate that there isn't a fundamental issue with authentication with the file server target. The issue seems to be when the source of the files to be restored no longer exists. BE can't handle it. At least not in this particular instance.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

I think the default is to restore to the original location which would explain why you're getting this error...have you tried a redirected restore to a folder on the media server?

Thanks!

maitakeboy
Level 4

Sorry, I should have included that I am redirecting this restore to the new file server. That's what I find a bit disconcerting. I would think the only authentication I need is for that resource. But this job kicks out within 5 or 10 seconds, and the job log references the old server in the Resource Name and Logon Account, after which is teh error, which leads me to believ it has something to do with this.

CraigV

...matter of interest, but try the redirected restore to the local media server and see if you get the same issue.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Try doing your restore WITHOUT permissions.

maitakeboy
Level 4

How would I do a restore without permissions?

So, is the error referring to the files on the tape, the original file location (which no longer exists) or the redirected file location? That's what I'm unsure of, and of course, is the crux of the issue.

Thanks for your help! I will try the restore to the local directory. I will also try a reboot of the media server and see if maybe it's just a cranky server.

CraigV

Hi,

Check the 2 TNs below...1 explains how it works, and the other shows the options:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO11973

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO11976

Thanks!

maitakeboy
Level 4

OK, so here's the latest. I was able to do the restore locally. So the issue is obvioulsy that BE can't connect to the redirect location. Now, I'm able to browse there just fine within the File Redirection window. The Server logon account is correct. When I go to Start>>>Run on the media server and type in the location I am trying to restore to, I can get to it just fine. So, what the heck could it be? I've been able to restore to this location previously.

maitakeboy
Level 4

Here's the latest. I did a test restore from last night's backup, redirected to the same file server that was erroring before. The file I was restoring was from that same file server, but a different directory. It completed successfully. Apparently, BE has a problem dealing with restores that come from servers which are no longer present. Seems pretty odd that it doesn't have that capability.

lmosla
Level 6

Hi,

were these just plain flat files? I've never heard of BE having this problem, so yes, it does seem odd. Did you try duplicating the data to disk and then doing the restore to the file server?

Are you running just the base version of Backup Exec 2010? If you are I definitely recommend upgrading to 2010R3. 

pkh
   VIP    Certified

How would I do a restore without permissions?

See this

BE 2010 - restore without permission.png

maitakeboy
Level 4

Thanks everyone for the responses.

@lmosla: These were just flat files. Nothing fancy. I am running BE2010R3. I'm not quite sure what you mean by:  Did you try duplicating the data to disk and then doing the restore to the file server?

Iwas able to do a workaround by restoring to the local media server then just copying back to the file server. This would seem to indicate some sort of authentication issue with my file server. So I tested another restore of files whose source was the file server and whose target was the file server, and that completed successfully, so that would seem to indicate that there isn't a fundamental issue with authentication with the file server target. The issue seems to be when the source of the files to be restored no longer exists. BE can't handle it. At least not in this particular instance.