Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore Question

dori_bashan
Level 6

Hi

the workflow:

I got a shared folder on my network, my clients add files to that folder each day.

I set up a backup job in BE to make incremantel backup of that folder into my HP MSL 4048 Auto-Loader every night.

When i want to restore some files as a test for that workflow, i see that under each tape in the restore menu there is a list of all the snapshot made on that tape.

When i open each snapshot (pressing the +) i can see ALL the folders that the snapshot contain, BUT, all the folders beside those who were backup in that specific snapshot are empty.

So, in order to find my files i must look in every snapshot untill i will find the one that contains the files and not just an empty folder.

I can't use "Search Catalogs" as i dont always know the names of the files/folders i'm looking for.

Am i doing something wrong?

I wish that in each snapshot i could see only the new files that this snapshot contains without the empty folders.

Any help wold be highly appriciated.

Dori

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can do a True Image backup to either disk or tape.  

Note that you need a B2D folder if you want to do synthetic backup which is another feature of ADBO.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

I beleive the folders which you are backing up are on DFS , So if you backup the shares it would not backup anything

Directories that are managed/shared through DFS file shares should be backed up via “Shadow Copy Components”.  Shadow Copy Components\User Data\Distributed File System Replication\DfsrReplicatedFolders

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH56841

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

And in case if your data is not DFS then you may try the strategy of Full + Differential. So that during searching for files for restore you have to just search in the Full set and then the latest Differential set.

Thanks,

-Sush...

dori_bashan
Level 6

Can you please explain the difference betwn those two option:

Setting a FULL job for the first time i run the  backup, and then change the method to INCRAMENTAL.

OR

Running Full+Differential backup job.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you run an incremental backup, you only backup the files that are modified or added since the last full or incremental backup.  When you run a differential backup, you backup all the files that are modified or added since the last full backup.

If you are using incremental backups and you need to restore a directory, you need to restore the last full backup and ALL the incremental backups since that full backup.

If you are using differential backups and you need to restore a directory, you need to restore the last full backup and ONLY the last differential backup.

While differential backups saves you time during a restore, you would have a lot more data to backup during each differential backup.

The behaviour in your original post is to be expected and cannot be changed.  The only way to simply your search is to use True Image backup which is part of ADBO.  ADBO is a payable option of BE.  With True Image backup, all the files in the folder are shown in the last incremental backup.  You just need to select the file and BE will be able to pick up the correct incremental backup to restore it.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Just to answer you in short

Incremental backup would backup the files which have chaged from last full or incremental backup and differential always backups chages from last full backup .

dori_bashan
Level 6

Thank you so much

i wil try the True Image backup option.

dori_bashan
Level 6

Just to make sure - ADBO is Advanced Disk Backup Option?

Is it useable to disk to tape backup? or only disk to disk backup?

Thank you

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Only for disk backups

dori_bashan
Level 6

So what RahulG as offerd me is not relevant as i'm using Disk to Tape?

are you 100% sure that i have no use in the ADBO if i'm my backup is from local storage to LTO tape and my restore is from the LTO backup to disk?

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

As I mentioned before , are the folders or shares which your are backing up on DFS , If yes the the backup would have just the folder structure as the backup selection as to be made user shadowcopy component.Have a look of the following document http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH152591 . I fyou already have backup of shadowcopy component of the server on which you have the shares try expanding shadowcopy component in the restore selection and check if you able to see the files

dori_bashan
Level 6

I am not using DFS.

The files are stored locally. 

The storage and the auto-loader are connected to the same system

For that exmaple, we can forget about the shares. lets imagine that i'm working totally on a local system

one machine that is connected to a storage and to an LTO 5 auto loader.

The LTO must backup and restore files from the storage.  no network. no DFS. all local.

I just need to know if True Image Backup wiill work, and i will see all the files and folders in every snapshot in the restore window while working with disk to tape backup and tape to disk restore.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can do a True Image backup to either disk or tape.  

Note that you need a B2D folder if you want to do synthetic backup which is another feature of ADBO.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

But if the folder which your backing up are normal folders than even without the Adbo option you may be able to back it up

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Yes. but he wants to see all the files in the folder.  Without a True Image backup, you will get the problem that he has described in his original post, i.e. only the files that are backed up during the incremental backup would be shown.

dori_bashan
Level 6

Thank you all