cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore a Database With Backup Exec

epsone
Level 4

Good day ,

I try to restore a Database with Backup Exec 12.5 , but when i use this steaps i find the folder DATA & Logs empty :

1- I go to restor

2- I select the two folder

3- I redirect the file to another server

after he finish i have just two empty folder without any Data

can you help me i will be thankful ?

Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...I'd suggest getting hold of the BE Admin Guide and read through it.

As mentioned a couple of times above, trying to back up the *.mdf/*.ldf files will result in them being excluded by default. The only way around this is to create a SQL dump of your databases, and then back up the *.bak files. Even then you won't get access to the *.ldf files.

Suing the agent means you can backup/restore SQL live...when it backs up the SQL DBs, it commits the logs once done...therefore no need to back up the logs at all...

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

CraigV

Hi,

What database are you trying to restore? Does the remote server have a RAWS agent on?

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

The data folder for SQL  have the Mdf and ldf file which are open data base files and if you want to back those you need to use the Sql Agent or you need to stop the servies for SQl and peform a flat file backup

epsone
Level 4

excuse me i don't have sql Agent , so in my case I must stop service for Sql if i want to restor the data ? i use new serveur sql to restore from the old one that i have in production (but the backup i have in tape)

if you can help me

many Thanks

CraigV

...the SQL agent makes life a lot easier, as it allows for online backups and restores of your SQL DBs.

If you're trying to back up the *.mdf/*.ldf files, then BE will exclude them based on its Active File Exclusion.

You can try making a backup of the SQL Dbs, and then backing up the *.bak files.

epsone
Level 4

excuse me but if i need to restor mdf and ldf file It's possible ?

Thank you

CraigV

...if you manage to back up the flat-files, then yes.

Otherwise you can try a duplicate job. This would copy the information from tape to disk...

epsone
Level 4

Sorry now i m confused , to restor the mdf and ldf file that I have in the tape , i must stop the sql server and i strat to restor ?

thank you

CraigV

...what do you want to restore? Do you want to restore an SQL DB to another server? To the same server in another instance?

Do you just want the flat-files as in the *.mdf and *.ldf files you were asking about restoring???

If you have the SQL agent, you can restore to another server using a redirected restore, you can restore to the same server and overwrite the current SQL DB, or you can restore to another instance of SQL on the same server...

epsone
Level 4

I want to restore Sql DB to another server . me i backup the mdf and ldf file , and i don't have sql agent

how can I to restor ?

thank you for your help

CraigV

...then as long as you have the *.mdf and *.ldf files on your backup set, and can verify this, you're going to do a simple file redirection restore. You need the RAWS agent installed on the other server, otherwise it will fail immediately.

Once done, it becomes a Microsoft issue to get those DBs remounted, and I'd then suggest checking out the MS forums for that part.

Thanks!

epsone
Level 4

good day

to fix this problem I installed the Sql agent , but now with agent I backup database not mdf and ldf files ?

Many thanks

CraigV

...I'd suggest getting hold of the BE Admin Guide and read through it.

As mentioned a couple of times above, trying to back up the *.mdf/*.ldf files will result in them being excluded by default. The only way around this is to create a SQL dump of your databases, and then back up the *.bak files. Even then you won't get access to the *.ldf files.

Suing the agent means you can backup/restore SQL live...when it backs up the SQL DBs, it commits the logs once done...therefore no need to back up the logs at all...