cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore a foreign server's data to a local server with a different name than the foreign server

JamesM-405
Level 2

Hello;

I will front-load this post with my question:

How can I restore foreign data to a server that does not have the same name as the foreign server from which that backup was generated?

Here is my scenario:

Just did two new deployments of BE 2012 14.0 Rev 1798 last week.  I maintain two seperate environments that do not talk to each other and have distinct naming schemes for servers.  

In production, I back up a set of files (not a full server backup) from a server that we'll call ProductionFileServer1.  This is not a full server backup.  It is a subset of folders on drive D.  Today, I brought my first LTO5 tape back from the Production environment and am trying to figure out how to restore data with redirection to a server we'll call CorporateDevelopment1.  I am having a hard time figuring out how to do it.

Here is what I have done so far:

1. Write-protected my Production tapes, imported them into the local Quantum library, did a scan/inventory/catalog, all good.
  2. Right-clicked on one of the imported tapes.  No option to restore data.
  3. Went to the Restore section and attempt to restore data.  
  4. I can't start a restore of SERVER1's data without it being in the list.  The server ProductionFileServer1 will never be in the list for the domain of CorporateDevelopment1.  

What do I need to do to get this data restored?  I am unsure where to find the options I need to redirect a restore from a server that is not in my current environment.

Thanks,

James

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JamesM-405
Level 2

Ah.  Well I've answered my own question:

Upon inventory / catalog, the foreign server will appear in the local server's server list.  If for some reason the catalog has a problem completing, that computer won't show up.

The redirected restore operation is running fine at this point.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

JamesM-405
Level 2

Some clarifications:

Both environments are BE 2012 14.0 Rev 1798.

Both environments use the exact same LTO5 auto loader and SAS cards

Each environment uses different barcode label naming schemes.

The tapes I imported, inventoried, and catalogged today have never been in this loader before.

JamesM-405
Level 2

Ah.  Well I've answered my own question:

Upon inventory / catalog, the foreign server will appear in the local server's server list.  If for some reason the catalog has a problem completing, that computer won't show up.

The redirected restore operation is running fine at this point.