cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore a vm from tape on be2012

bellissimopytho
Level 5

Hi,

I have a windows 2003 media server with be2012 vray. I need to restore a full vm, but I don't want overwrite the existing, running and original one.

I have seen the restore wizard and I have seen the 3 different kind of resotre options. I want restore on a different host or vcenter but I have a bit of fear to overwrite something.

For example I have tried to restore on a different path, I choiced to restore on a linux server [ROOT]/mnt/E/vm.  But after 10 or 15 minutes of restoring the exact directory was till empty then I have canceled the restore job.

Please anyone could give me a step by step article ? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

lmosla
Level 6

It looks like you are facing a known issue with Backup Exec 2012.  The VM needs to be restored locally to the media server or to a existing vm.  refer: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH188010

It is recommended to upgrade to Backup Exec 2014.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Backup Exec need to stage the VMDK files first to a temp folder. Depending on the size of the original VM this can take some time.

Make sure you have enough free space on the temp folder you have specified in Backup Exec.

bellissimopytho
Level 5

but the staging folder is not useful just for GRT restore ?

My vm is full disk without GRT enabled option.

Also I want add that my media server is just 80 giga with 20 free. And the vm to restore is 120.

I have opened a share folder on an other vm ... but I see that the staging aerea must be local to the media server and not a network share. I can't add an other hd on the the blade of the mediaserver.

lmosla
Level 6

It looks like you are facing a known issue with Backup Exec 2012.  The VM needs to be restored locally to the media server or to a existing vm.  refer: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH188010

It is recommended to upgrade to Backup Exec 2014.