cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore always coming from tape

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hello all,

I have a customer with Exchange backups (GRT) set up with full weekly on saturday and incremental backups during rest of the week. Both the full weekly and daily incremental backups are offloaded to tape using duplication steps.

These backups both go to deduplication storage. During restore testing we tried to restore an Exchange mailbox. In the wizard BE asks where to restore the data from: disk or tape, we select disk and BE starts staging from tape library somehow... This is not normal? We also did vmware restore tests and they came from disk just fine.

I tried multiple restore methodes: Normal one using the wizard from the "Backup and Restore" tab and by browsing the backup set directly under "Storage" tab.

I already opened a Veritas support case for this issue and the engineer suggested to run the incremental backups to regular B2D storage instead of dedupe. I was aware of these problems regarding Exchange incr GRT to dedupe but I thought 15 was not impacted by this.

So last weekend I configured regular B2D storage and had the Exchange backups go to that disk. Today I tried the restores again and same behaviour shows... My job logs are successfull and also catalog jobs are ok. The only difference I notice in the restore wizard is that I can now browse the Incremental backups as well (this was not possible when they went to dedupe).

I'm having another call today with Veritas but maybe someone on here knows anything...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

In case someone else has this problem and nowone here seems to have a solution...

I worked with Veritas support on this and the issue seems to have resolved itself over 3 days. According to the engineer it was a messed up catalog...

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

In case someone else has this problem and nowone here seems to have a solution...

I worked with Veritas support on this and the issue seems to have resolved itself over 3 days. According to the engineer it was a messed up catalog...

View solution in original post