cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore an Exchange 2003 Mailbox to PST

Fierce_Otter
Level 3

We're on Exchange 2010, and our Exchange 2003 servers have been gone for a couple years. 

I have a tape backup from that Exchange 2003 server from several years ago, and I need to restore a mailbox. I don't want to bring this mailbox onto our Exchange 2010 system. I just want to put it into a PST. Neither the user nor the mailbox exist in our current environment.

We currently have Backup Exec 2010. 

I've been searching and finding a lot of confusing and conflicting information on this.

I did come across this: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH191622

After inventorying and cataloging the tape, I can see the mailbox I want to restore. Do I need Exchange 2003 to recover this mailbox to PST? Will I need to upgrade to Backup Exec 2012 or later?

Thank you

7 REPLIES 7

pkh
   VIP    Certified
To restore to PST, you need BE 2012 or later

Fierce_Otter
Level 3

So if I upgrade to BE 2012, I can restore to PST, without needing Exchange 2003 at all?

Thank you

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

In theory all you need is BE 2012 (preferably BE 2014) with a supported version of Outlook (which I think might mean not the very latest or too old) installed in a server with the Backup Exec remote agent also installed (this can of course be the media server, which already has RAWS itself but I would suggest not the Exchange server as Microsoft used to recommend not installing Outlook directly on Exchange.)

The original Backup Job also has to be a GRT enabled Information store backup, it is possible you may have run an old style Brick Level Backup (although I hope not) A brick level backup is not compatible with redirect to PST, GRT enabled backup is compatible.

Fierce_Otter
Level 3

I think it was done using GRT, but how would I confirm this?
I can see the mailbox, and if I can select individual folders under Top of Information Store. Selecting those shows me the contents of the folders, too. Would I be able to see this with a brick level backup?

Thanks,

VJware
Level 6

A brick level backup was essentially backing up the individual mailboxes separately from the Information Store backup. So what you are describing is how GRT restore selections would look like.

Fierce_Otter
Level 3

I called a sales rep, as we're a little behind on our licensing, and she put this question to a technician while she was putting together a quote for me. The reply was that BE 2012 has this capability, but that BE 2014 does not support Exchange 2003. Thus we'll have to get licenses for BE 2014 and then request "downgrade" keys for BE 2012.

VJware
Level 6

You could check with the Licensing team for just the BE 2012 installer as you will be able to restore to a pst even when BE is in trial. Once the restore is successful, i would recommend upgrading to BE 2014 instead than BE 2012.