cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore and the c:\temp folder

MarcelB
Level 4

Hi there,

I'm just looking for a confirmation. I'm using Backup Exec 2010 and having 1 job for backup and the exchange databases is also back-uped. No problems.

I was just testing a single mailbox restore, once with the destination being a Redirect to file and once with a redirect to a temp restore mailbox.

I've noticed that it will create the full database set in file format on the c:\temp folder. I found it strange that the mailbox being restored contained just 300MB and the file counting of the active job growed being more that 5 GB, then I sas the files being created in c:\temp.

Is this the normal way a restore of a single mailbox should take place? So when having a mailbox store of 40GB, and I want to restore 1 mailbox of 300MB, I need free space of 40Gb to get it restored?? Or do I make a wronglt back-up?

Thanks.

Marcel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

I guess the backup was on the tape, when you perform a GRT restore the backup set is stagged on  

the disk at the give location before restoring any data, same does not apply if the backup is targeted 

to a disk.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

AmolB

I guess the backup was on the tape, when you perform a GRT restore the backup set is stagged on  

the disk at the give location before restoring any data, same does not apply if the backup is targeted 

to a disk.

MarcelB
Level 4

Amol,

Sorry, yes onto tape. I understand the answer is yes because we are dealing with a full backup set?

Marcel

AmolB

Full or Incremental both needs to be stagged from tape to disk before restoring 

Kevin_Cotreau
Level 6

This is why I always set my staging options to D:\Temp (or wherever you have a lot of free space) in Tools>Options. Most servers have smaller C-drives, and larger data drives. You can bring your server down by running it out of space while doing a restore if you stage to C:.

solim
Level 3

Hi there,

I'm just looking for a confirmation. I'm using Backup Exec 2010  No problems.

I was just testing a userhome data restore, once with the destination being a Redirect to file and once with a redirect to a temp restore .

I've noticed that it will create the full data in file format on the c:\temp folder. When I do restoring data my process is completed successfully. My backup is on the tape, but when i see the restoring data there i see only empty folders and nothing any documents.Why it is so.I cannot resolve it. Is anybody help me

Thanks.