Did you mean: 

Restore backups blank, Catalog set too large

EdwardMallett83
Level 3

Backup Exec 2012

Backup to tape

Windows Server 2008 R2

Hello All,

I have spoken with Symantec over the phone but their solution seemed utterly impractical so I was wondering if anyone has the same problem.

We have a server which runs a weekly backup of around 500gb and an incremental daily backup of around 4gb, previously when we wanted to restore data from this server we would highlight it, go to the restore tab and then choose files/folders and then choose the date of the backup required and it would tell us what tape this backup is on and then away we go.

Now it seems to only be showing one backup range which is from the 29/06/13, I can see the completed previous backups from the job history tab and it shows them all being successful and what tape the backup is on.

Symantec say our catalog is too big and that the way to restore backups from before the 29/06/13 full backup is to catalog the last full backup before the date we needed and then restore the job from there, so in essence if I wanted a backup from the 3/06/13 (a Monday) I would have to find the last full backup tape in this case the 1/06/13 then catalog this (which takes several hours) and then put the Monday incremental tape in catalog that and then restore, so we are looking at a restore time of at least half a day which seems ridiculous.

Other servers we have just allow me to select any date from a previous backup and off it goes.

Can anyone help as to how to resolve this more effectively.

Ed

7 REPLIES 7

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
1. Try to change the date range or that is as far back as it takes you.
2. Have you set any catalog auto truncation period in Configurations and Settings --> Backup Exec settings --> Catalog.
3. Could you confirm what is the retention period for that job.

Also, ideally with default options set in the catalogs tab in step2 it should not take hours to catalog the tape if it comes to that.

Edit: If you proceed with the restore wizard and select the option "To a backup set time that I select" does it show you the required backup set in the next tab?

EdwardMallett83
Level 3

Hello there,

1) Have changed the date on it to search as far back as start of year nothing happens.

2) We dont have any truncation period set atm

3) The retention period on a weekly tape is for 27 days but it is not just the Weekly tapes info that has gone, its the Monthly and Daily incremental as well

Thanks

EdwardMallett83
Level 3

We dont have that option, when you start the restore wizard I have, Files, Folder or Volumes then File and Folder and backups then show backups from: dd/mm/yy: to dd/mm/yy

Thanks

EdwardMallett83
Level 3

If I do a search for the data and untick any date range it finds backups from the past week, if I search a specific path with no date range ticked it wont find anything?

I have also tried renaming the catalog, opening backup exec, closing it, deleting the new catalog folder and re adding the original and that didnt help either.

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

It is better if you open a support case and work with a technician.

EdwardMallett83
Level 3

Yeh I did that and they werent much us tbh.

I will try and piece it together myself.

Thanks though

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

Could you DM me the case number, I will see what I can do.