cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore data from different backup exec server

gencantieri
Level 3

hi all,

i need to restore on new 2008 r2 server with bE 2010 R3, from a tape done with backup exec 2010 r3.

what is the correct procedure?

in the backup job of the old server should i had to backup something elese, as catalog, or just the data?

in the backup job i selected only data (files and folder) and nothing else.

Thank you 

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Yes, that's all you need to do. Running a Catalog adds all that tape's details and contents to the BEDB of the remote server.
once done, run the Restore Wizard and make sure the data range is correct, and you can either restore to the original server (just check the publishing on that server's RAWS agent and make sure it points to the new media server), or redirect the restore elsewhere.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV

Hi,

Put in the tape. Inventory, and then Catalog it.

Select the correct date in the restore wizard and then restore the data.

In the case above this isn't moving the BE media server to another server, correct? Just a normal restore?

Thanks!

gencantieri
Level 3

yes.. i wanna restore data on new server.

but if i wanna move media server (jobs, device, settings media etc), what i have to do?

maybe move program files\backup exec\catalog folder on the new server?

now, the MOST important thing that i have to do is restore data. if i have time i can migrate the media server.

CraigV

Restoring data backed up on 1 media server by using another means you use the procedure above that I mentioned. It's simple enough.

TO transfer BE from 1 server to another, use the TN below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH67768

Or...(depending on how it gets moved):

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH67296

Thanks!

gencantieri
Level 3

mmm too long procedure. i configure media server manually.

u confirm to restore data is sufficient do the inventory of the tape and the catalog it?

nothing to backup in the backup job? in the backup job is selected only data (no system state etc)

Thank you but tomorrow i have to do this and i have no time for test

CraigV

Yes, that's all you need to do. Running a Catalog adds all that tape's details and contents to the BEDB of the remote server.
once done, run the Restore Wizard and make sure the data range is correct, and you can either restore to the original server (just check the publishing on that server's RAWS agent and make sure it points to the new media server), or redirect the restore elsewhere.

Thanks!

Have a similar issue.   Trying to mount tape on a BE 16, as the original server (with BE 10 i think) crashed.

BE sees the cartridge just fine, but doesn't do any cataloging.  Tried both inventory and catalog separately, but nothing showing up.

I really need to get these files restored onto another server, but now not sure what to do.