Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore files from tape through backupexec 2012 quickstart

jack_sun
Level 4

Hi All,

Something suddenly came to my mind about the file restore and make me worried:

I made a yearly full backup to tapes at the end of year 2012, and these days I find I cannot find this restore point in the BE 2012 quickstart.

Ignore possile mistake or lack of knowledge, what about if there're exactly some files saved on one tape, and I want to use a newle installed Backupexec 2012 quickstart software to restore the file? Since there cannot be any index information for this tape in this software history, I can find some users metioned restore from media" or import the tape catalog, but i didn't find these two options in quickstart edtion....

Wish this is a easy question to you and let me know if there's quick answer.....thank you.

Jack,

4 REPLIES 4

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You could insert these tapes and perform a catalog operation from the devices tab in Backup Exec. This should allow BE to read data from those tapes and show it in restore selection.

jack_sun
Level 4
Hey, Thanks for your reply. I tried to randomly insert a tape with part of the full backup job data, system indicated for another tape, and finally the job failed with following information: Catalog 00006 -- The job failed with the following error: The requested media is not listed in the media index and could not be mounted. To add the media's catalog information to the disk-based catalogs, run an inventory operation on the media and resubmit the Catalog operation. From my understanding, if the job completed with 3 tapes, I have to insert the 1st tape then run the catalog job, system will then ask me to insert the 2nd tape and 3rd tape one by one, right? then after the full index, I should be able to see the full backup job that just cataloged, right? Thanks, Jack,

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Yes. This is correct.  You insert the first tape in the sequence, inventory it and then catalog it.  You would be prompted for the subsequent tapes.  Once, the cataloging is finished, you would be able to see the contents of the backup set.

jack_sun
Level 4
OK, thanks I will try and return to give the result. Jack,