cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore from Encrypted Tape without key file

mikethelad
Level 3

Hi, I am trying to restore data from data as our server raid failed.  I have re-built the server but don't have the dek file and have tried all the passcodes and none work, what are my options?

9 REPLIES 9

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

I am not familiar with tape encryption using a dek file.  Tape encryption is typically done with a passphrase/password.  If you know the passphrase, you can restore an encrypted tape using a fresh install of BE.

I assume you are referring to the .dek file that Backup Exec uses to encrypt the BE database?  Sorry, but I don't know of any way around that.

Thanks, I have tried every passcode I think off but no joy.  My backup is from Backup Exec 15 and I am tryiing to restore from Backup Exec 20, could this be why?

Thanks, I have tried every passcode I think off but no joy.  My backup is from Backup Exec 15 and I am tryiing to restore from Backup Exec 20, could this be why?

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Where exactly are you getting stuck?  I assume you are trying to enter a passphrase to read/restore the tape?

As far as I know, nothing has changed in the hardware encryption or the passphrases between BE 15 and BE 20.  But, since you are likely testing with a clean install of BE 20, I would do a clean install of BE 15, just to try and eliminate variables.

I did redownload 15 but it was failing to find the tape drive, I guess I could re-try

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

What type of tape drive?  (ie Brand, model, LTO generation) 

Is it on the BE 15 HCL?  Is this the same tape drive that wrote the tape in BE 15 originally?  Or did you change tape drives also?

HP LTO4 tape, the tape was backed up last night successfully

Is there no way to get around the pass phrase?

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

HP LTO4 should be supported just fine by BE 15 and BE 20, so I would try BE 15 again as it likely was some sort of Windows discovery issue.  If Windows can see the tape drive, then BE should work with the tape drive with no extra steps required.

I don't know of a way around the pass phrase.  It wouldn't be very good encryption if there were easy ways around it :)

pkh
   VIP    Certified

None.  You either have the .dek file which will decrypt the existing encryption keys in the BEDB or you have to enter the original passphrase that is used to encrypt the tape.  Without either, you would not be able to restore the tape and nobody, inlcuding Veritas, will be able to help you.