cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore from Tape media to VM on Backup exec 2012

techso
Level 2

I need help restoreing data from tape to a virtaul mechine useing backup exec 2012

7 REPLIES 7

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You got to be more specific about what kind of help you need.  What are you restoring, the entire VM or individual objects?

techso
Level 2

Sorry for that! I'm trying to restore a an object from a tape media to a folder on the VM drive

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I presume that you are trying to restore a file/folder.  You got to click on the VM server FQDN, expand that and then select the file/folder.  You should not try to expand the VM under the VM host.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

As well as pkh answer above, you also need disk space on the media server to stage the restore from tape to.

As such I hope the reason you did a VMware backup on tape was not due to lack of disk space.

techso
Level 2

Hi PKH

Need to restore this file useing backup Exec 2012 is they a procedure to follow on how to restore files from a media tape which was saved to tape media using backup Exec 2010, this files must be restore onto C:\ or D:\ on the VM

restoring from tape on backup Exec 2010 was far more easier to do,as you could catalog the tape and select the tape and click restore which will show you the tape content,all you needed to do was select the file you wish to restore.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The procedure to restore the tape from BE 2010 using the procedure below

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/be-2012-restoring-data-defunct-server

Although the article is for disk media, the procedure is the same for tape media.

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

restoring from tape on backup Exec 2010 was far more easier to do,as you could catalog the tape and select the tape and click restore which will show you the tape content,all you needed to do was select the file you wish to restore.

This feature will be available in the next release of BE2012

We have returned the ability to initiate restore from backup sets or tapes

refer to https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/new-be-2012-requires-too-many-clicks