Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore from .bkf files without Backup Exec

Kishko_Valery
Level 2

Hello everyone!

Advice please.

I have backups of Exchange 2010 databases, MS SQL databases and files from NTFS drive (.bkf files and IMG000xxx folders created by Backup Exec 2010).
But I do not have Backup Exec.

Is it possible to restore Exchange and MS SQL databases and files from the .bkf files and IMG000xxx folders? If so, how is it done?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

teiva-boy
Level 6

You will have to install a trial version of BackupExec to read the BFK file.  Or you leverage NT Backup.

Not if you use a non-BackkupExec alternative, at best you may only be able to restore files.  Since there are some advanced functions that get written to the BKF related to unique and proprietary features like GRT, dedupe information, ACL's, etc.  

You want simple and easy, use a trial edition when you need to restore quickly and easily.  Or keep a copy of fthe ISO on hand in a DR site, and on disc for when needed.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

the IMG folder will contain the Exchnage edb files etc, so there might be utiltities that can directly access these to get at the data.

Not sure abouth SQL

why not just download and use BE in evaluation mode?

Kishko_Valery
Level 2

We need to install Backup Exec, install the agents ... I think there is a way easier, more universal way.

teiva-boy
Level 6

You will have to install a trial version of BackupExec to read the BFK file.  Or you leverage NT Backup.

Not if you use a non-BackkupExec alternative, at best you may only be able to restore files.  Since there are some advanced functions that get written to the BKF related to unique and proprietary features like GRT, dedupe information, ACL's, etc.  

You want simple and easy, use a trial edition when you need to restore quickly and easily.  Or keep a copy of fthe ISO on hand in a DR site, and on disc for when needed.

Kishko_Valery
Level 2

Thank you.