cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore from tapes, without server, tape library or catalog that the tapes were created on, and not Overwrite catalog on good operational Backup Exec install

BackupWest
Level 3

Well this solution has proven difficult.

I have tapes that are a backup of a file server which may contain data we would like to restore. The file server is gone, the tape library the tapes were created on is gone, and there is no backup of the tape catalog. I have old tapes i would like to at least view the contents of.

I still have a Dell tape loader, and server running Backup Exec 2010, that runs backups on active server. I thought I could load my archived tapes into the active library, inventory and catalog and restore.
Right away we realized that there were duplicate barcodes media lables and we did not want are valuable current catalog compromised with media lables from this old archive set of tapes. We thought of renaming the current catalog and creating a new one with the old tapes. This wasn't very elegant and ended up not working with errors " the media is not in the media index" , even after inventorying and then trying to catalog.

Is there a procedure that I can try, that will keep our good active catalog safe but allow me to inventory and catalog (maybe even restore from) these old tapes which have the same bar code media labels as many of the tapes in the active catalog. Thank you

21 REPLIES 21

BackupWest
Level 3

Thank you, I will run another Catalog with those settings configured correctly , with new bar codes, after scanning only. I think that's the order of this operation. 

BackupWest
Level 3

always a work in progress trying to squeeze between regular bcakups to get some time on the server.