cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore lost VM

TeleHarp
Level 3

I have been tasked with restoring a VM that was lost in a datastore overwrite incident. Documentation on the previous VM's configuration is lacking so I am in a trial and error state.   As of now I have built a new linux vm using hyper-v.  From here I have managed to get the restore of files and folders to begin, however the job will fail eventually due to authentication failures.

Advise needed: 

Is there a way to make an iso that builds the vm and restores the full backup so when it is all completed the vm is exactly as it was before it was lost?

Or is it too late now that the original VM is gone?

What is the best way to go about restoring the backup so that the new VM is functional at the end?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

TeleHarp
Level 3

By the way this is Backup Exec 12.5.

teiva-boy
Level 6

You should really be backing up the VHD file itself.  However you will have to upgrade to BackupExec 2012 (Or 2010).  This way you can restore the VM back, or pull out files/folders out of the VHD backup as needed.

TeleHarp
Level 3

I am sorry.  I will try to be more clear.  I had a Linux VM on an ESXi host. The ESXi host lost its datastore.  Now I am trying to rebuild the vm in Hyper-V.  What I want to find out is if I can build a bootable recovery disk on 12.5 using only a full backup.  I do not have a .dr file but I do have a full backup of the linux vm that was lost.  So can I create an iso that uses the full backup to restore the vm?  If not, I am stuck with restoring the files and folders to a new vm, which will end up not being functional.

Thanks for the help!

Joseph_Correia
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi TeleHarp,

If you have a "full backup" of the VM why can you not restore it back into HyperV.

This is a supported feature in 12.5 I believe.

Andrew_Serna
Level 3
Employee Accredited

There is no way to build a bootable recovery disk from a previous backup job without the .dr file. So yes you are stuck restoring the file and folders to the new vm, as far as I know it is not possible to do a full system restore of a linux server, please see this tech document. http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH72041

Was this backup made using our vmware agent, or the ralus agent? (remote agent for linux)

pkh
   VIP    Certified

IDR is only available for Windows, not Linux.