cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore of BE2010 backup with BE2012 - VMWare GRT

Matt12345
Level 4

I'm working on planning a BE2012 install to replace our aging BE2010 system and I'm having an issue restoring data from a BE2010 backup.

Here's the specifics:

• Backup was created on a LTO library using BE2010
  • Backup was done with the VMWare Agent/Option for BE2010
  • Backup was created with GRT enabled
  • GRT restore of this backup set works fine in BE2010

As of yet, I have not been able to restore this data using BE2012. I've tried:

• restoring the entire VM, which reports the job ran successfully - but restored 0 bytes - e.g. nothing was really restored.
    • this is troubling - at the minimum I figured this would work
  • restoring an individual file within the VM (GRT restore) - when setting up this job I get an error stating "Unable to insert the SERVERNAME Restore 000XX. The restore job has no selections" - when it does indeed clearly contain a selection
    • I've tried redirecting the restore to another server (running the BE2012 agent) and the local file system of the media server - this makes no difference

As of right now I only notice this on GRT enabled backups. I was able to successfully restore a VM that does not use any GRT nor BE Agent (successful restore was a NT4 server of all things!)

Are there any solutions for what appears to be a bug in 2012?

6 REPLIES 6

Matt12345
Level 4

I failed to mention.. BE2010 is SP4, and BE2012 is SP4

lmosla
Level 6

Hello, Have you tested a restore from a duplicate to disk?

Matt12345
Level 4

Have you tested a restore from a duplicate to disk?

If you mean... have I duplicated the data from the LTO library onto a backup to disk target and then added that B2D folder as a legacy B2D storage device AND THEN attempted the same restore operation... the answer is yes - and the result is the same.. I get the error message as mentioned in the OP

lmosla
Level 6

see http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH188010

check the Backup Exec 2012 HCL  and SCL  to verify the versions of hardware and software are supported.

check for sufficient available space for staging on C:

Matt12345
Level 4

Checked HCL and C drive.. this is not the issue.

I even went so far as to create another GRT enabled backup on a disk target to take the LTO Library out of the picture - this didn't fix the issue.

After reading technote 188010 I was able to restore the entire VM - this isn't really a solution though... I suspect all my BE2010 backups will be impacted.

Matt12345
Level 4

OK.. I'm not sure what's going on here...

After letting the new server "settle out" for a few days I came in this morning and thought I'd give the GRT restore one more shot, so I could make sure I grab a screen shot of the error and maybe do some more in depth debugging.

As of right now it appears to be working pulling a restore off of tape. It's staging the data now - prepping the actual restore.