cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore seems extremely slow

Sean_Donnelly
Level 4
For the first time I had to restore multiple servers, and found that the throughput was very slow or to me it seemed that way. Below are my specs on servers and network.

Exabyte VXA-2 1x10 Packetloader SCSI
connected to HP ProLiant DL380 2GB RAM Dual 3.4GHz RAID 5
going over a Gigabit switch

my backup throughput ranges from 450MB/min to 600MB/min, which works out great, and that is with verify being turned on.

I restored a little over 9GB and it took almost and 1 1/2 hours and the throughput peaked at 145MB/min. At that rate for me to restore one of my servers with 70GB it turns into an unacceptable situation. Is there anything I can do to speed things up?
4 REPLIES 4

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

It seems the restores are slower as compared to the backups.A possible reason for this behavior is that the "Enable Fast File Restore" key has been set to a value of "0." The path for this key is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VERITAS\Backup Exec\Engine\Tape Format\Enable Fast File Restore

To resolve this problem, change the value of this key to a "1," and either reboot the backup server or stop and restart the Backup Exec services.

Please note that restores are typically slower than backups. If Backup Exec is restoring data to a RAID array, the performance may be slower due to the extra processing during write operations in some RAID configurations. If the restore is taking place over a network, ensure that the network controller throughput and duplex settings match those of the network switch.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Regards.

Sean_Donnelly
Level 4
Thank you for your reply. I checked that HKEY and it is currently set to 1, and all of my network settings are set to auto on the controllers as my switch which is an unmanaged switch. Any other thoughts, it sounds as though I might even be getting better performance than many other folks out there.

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Is the restore throughput slower for all the jobs? What if you restore a small job? You can test a backup on tape and another one on a b2d. Restore these 2 jobs and check the throughput.

Are there any problems with the tape? Also try a backup and restore with NTbackup and test the results.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Regards.

Sean_Donnelly
Level 4
I ran some other restore tests and reached speeds of 200MB/min, at this point I'm going to accept this throughput. From what I see I am still seeing much better performance than others. Thank you for your time.