cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore selection list unavailable after migration

jmiles
Level 4
We have just migrated our Backup Exec 12.5 from one server to a new one. Both are running Server 2008 SP2 x64. We followed the following document on the migration: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/319367.htm.

Now, backup jobs perform just fine, but when trying to restore (from backups that were done on the previous server), there are problems and I think its a catalog issue.

When trying to select a restore source from the selection list, it at first comes up blank. Then, navigating to a different selection, or pressing F5 to refresh produces the following message in the right pane:
"Connection with server failed. Hit F5 to retry".

At the same time, the Backup Exec Job Engine fails with the following error in the event logs:
"Faulting application bengine.exe, version 12.5.2213.133, time stamp 0x49dd4c84, faulting module ImageBasedFHPlugin.dll, version 12.5.2213.0, time stamp 0x48c55d9b, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset x00000000000015f53, process id 0x3ac, application start time 0x01ca281733bff936"

I'm thinking something went wrong with the catalogs because in the Catalogs folder, there was a folder with the specific server name that contained 2 GB of catalog files. The migration instructions didn't specify whether to rename that folder or not, so I'm afraid something has gone wrong.

Has anyone encountered this issue, or have a possible resolution?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jmiles
Level 4
The issue was resolved during the technical support call. The a catalog rebuild had to be performed.

If anyone comes across this issue, I would advise creating a support case.

Thanks for the suggestions in this thread.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Stop BE services. Take a backup copy of your exising catalogs folder. Then, go to catalogs folder and make sure a folder by the current machine name exists. Copy the files from the old catalogs folder into this new server name folder. Start the services, check the restore selection.

Hope this helps.
Thanks

jmiles
Level 4
This does not resolve the problem. I stopped the services, copied emptied the Catalog folder, created a folder with the servername, and then placed the old catalogs into that folder.

After starting the services, trying to select a Restore selection causes the Job Engine to fail with the same error message.

Matt_Alexander
Level 5
Maybe check to see if the services are running under the proper credentials: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/316652.htm

If that's not working either, I'd suggest opening a case in https://mysupport.symantec.com/. If you do open a case, let me know.

jmiles
Level 4
Just created a case, #281763716

The services are using domain administrator credentials. Re-applying them and restarting the services did not resolve the problem.

I can select restore selections from a backup that was performed on the new server, however, when I try to select from a backup that was performed prior to the migration, the issue occurs, and stops the Backup Exec Job Engine.

jmiles
Level 4
The issue was resolved during the technical support call. The a catalog rebuild had to be performed.

If anyone comes across this issue, I would advise creating a support case.

Thanks for the suggestions in this thread.

wesleyd
Not applicable
It might not be necessary to open a case if the solution that has worked for you works for others. Your problem has been solved by:

1. Stop the backup exec services and sql service
2. Execute "CatRebuildIndex -r" from C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\ directory
3. Restart the stopped services

Unfortunately it has not worked for me and my Case #320-224-830 is now being transfered to the second line support. I can only see one month worth of the catalogs. The Catalog directory holds three months worth of the catalog files and the catalog truncate option is set to 4 months.