cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore single Mails without having the Exchange anymore

qwertz1985
Level 2

Hi Everybody!

I have some kind of funny problem ;) Because of some law stuff a have to restore 3 emails from a couple of years ago. I found the tape, looked into my old Backup Exec 2010 and found those mails with the recovery assistant. Now my problem is, that they were backuped a couple of years ago, so our environment changed a lot. We are not using Microsoft Exchange 2003 anymore and the new Exchange 2013 is backed up by another software.

I thought i could just recover those 3 emails i need, but from my point of view the file-redirection would not be the right place to configure that, right? I think i have to use the exchange-redirection but i dont see any option to just restore those mails to, for example, to .msg-files.

Do you have any idea how i can accomplish my goal?

Thanks in advance!

Dennis

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

You cannot restore Exchange 2003 into a newer version of Exchange...this is a Microsoft limitation.

Duplicate to disk as per my article below, and then get hold of something like Kernel for Exchange to interrogate the *.edb and pull out what you need.

https://www.veritas.com/community/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-using-bac...

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If GRT was enabled when you did the original backup, then you should be able to use the redirect to PST option (which needs a supported version of Outlook installed on a system that has the Backup Exec Remote Agent service installed and running.)

If GRT was not enabled when you ran the backup job then neither CraigVs answer or mine are likely to work.

qwertz1985
Level 2

Hi!

Thanks for your answer!

GRT was enabled in the original backup, but i cant find any option to redirect it to a PST. Is it possible that Backup Exec 2010 didn't support that? Or, hopefully, am i just blind? ;)

Kind regards,

Dennis

qwertz1985
Level 2

Hi!

Thanks for your answer!

GRT was enabled in the original backup, but i cant find any option to redirect it to a PST. Is it possible that Backup Exec 2010 didn't support that? Or, hopefully, am i just blind? ;)

Kind regards,

Dennis

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Ahh sorry you will also need to use a newer version of Backup Exec to do the redirect to PST (which should still work even if backup was taken with older version of BE)

Basically these are your options

BE2010 --> restore to same Exchange version as backup was done from which ins your csse wil means you need to build a recovery environment

BE2010 upgraded to BE 2014 or 15 --> either restore to same Exchange version OR redirect to PST

Note: Even for a BE 15 backup you will still have the Microsoft limitation so have to redirect to PST if the same version of Exchange is no longer avilable.

cruisen
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hello qwertz1985,

If you re new backup solution is netbackup why not using it do the restore.

DOCUMENTATION: Statement of support for the importing of Backup Exec images in NetBackup 7.x using the Backup Exec Tape Reader

Modification:
Backup Exec Tape Reader (BETR) refers to the ability within NetBackup to import and restore from Backup Exec (BE) backup sets (images).  Backup Exec media is imported into the NetBackup media server and data from the BE backup sets can be restored via NetBackup.  This statement specifies the current level of support for the Backup Exec Tape Reader capability.

NetBackup 7.6 will be the last release to support BETR functionality.

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.0000...

best regards,

Cruisen