cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore single log file Exchange

leekum
Level 4

Can you restore a single transaction log file from Exchange 2010 using Backup Exec 2010 R3? I don't see an option to drill down on the full snapshot. I'd rather not restore the Full transaction backup as it is over 300GB.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

There is no way by which backup exec can restore individual log file for this you would have to recovery of the databaase of exchange by dismounting it & then restore the database with that log all would be restored and you will get the all the logs required from the backup

Thanks

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

mustard_man
Level 4

Are the backups on disk or tape ,

are these GRT enabled backups

when youwant to restore a single transaction log file any particular reason you want to attempt to rstore a single transaction log file...

leekum
Level 4

The backups are on B2D. They are not GRT enable backups. I want to restore a single transaction log file because one of the log file was detected by nod32 as a trojan and deleted. I've set an exception on nod32 and need to restore the log file so i can copy it back.

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

There is no way by which backup exec can restore individual log file for this you would have to recovery of the databaase of exchange by dismounting it & then restore the database with that log all would be restored and you will get the all the logs required from the backup

Thanks

Sagar_Walambe
Level 4
Employee

Hi,

GRT view will allow you to restore individual emails. Microsoft recommends to exclude exchange databases and logs from AV scanning. I would suggest you to search for the microsft documents for the same.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...I think you missed the point of what the OP asked...the OP asked if they could restore a single log, not a single mail.

CraigV

...here's a suggestion. Try duplicating your backup set to disk (ie. a folder). This will give you the Exchange Information Store and any logs used during that backup. See if the log file is present.

Check my article below on how to do this:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-using-backup-exec-howto

darzeljohn
Level 2

hello guys,

im having a problem with my netbook... i tried using system restore then it launches ghost32 ..

after that it formats my computer and then it boots and keeps going on and on with the ghost 32 apllication..

what should i do? help me guys!

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

Duplicating will not help in this case as OP is saying backup is on disk & this is Non-GRT backup. If backup would have been on tape with GRT enabled then duplicating backup to disk would had helped OP definitely but not in this case.

OP comments{The backups are on B2D. They are not GRT enable backups. I want to restore a single transaction log file because one of the log file was detected by nod32 as a trojan and deleted. I've set an exception on nod32 and need to restore the log file so i can copy it back.}

Thanks

CraigV

...thanks for simply reposting what the OP stated, but I clearly stated that the OP should try the duplicate job to see if it gives him the flat files. If you've done this before, you'd see that you end up with the files used during a backup...

CraigV

...your only other option here might be to create a second Exchange server and restore to this using MS best practice to recover Exchange. Pull the log file from there.

And exclude your log file directory from any AV scans.