cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore with File Redirection Due to Server Out of Service

Linda_Lounsbury
Level 4

Hi,

I am trying to do a restore with file redirection to another server, because the original server has died.  My problem is that the restore job is trying to confirm resource credentials with the original server from which the back up was taken.  How do I override this?  I'm not sure where to point the Resource Credentials page for this restore, since the original server no longer exists - hence the file redirection!

Thanks,

Linda

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Linda_Lounsbury
Level 4

Thanks for all the responses.  I resolved my problem by Redirecting the restore of individual SharePoint 2010 objects to a file path using the instructions found in the admin guide.  I was not setting up a SharePoint restore, which is why I was having problems.  I was able to successfully restore all of my SharePoint documents to a standard unc path.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You should do the restore without restoring the permissions

Steve-Young
Level 6
Employee

If it BE 2012 or 2014 go to backlup/restore tab right click on server you are trying to restore and properties/details.

There should be a resource credential option on left.  Change credential there.

Linda_Lounsbury
Level 4

Steve Y - The problem is that the resource doesn't exist anymore, so changing the credentials to authenticate to it won't make any difference.  

PKH - I tried to do the restore without restoring permissions and I got the same message.  The restore is still trying to authenticate to a resource that no longer exists.  This was a Sharepoint server, so maybe I am trying to do the restore in the wrong way.

Does anyone know if I am able to restore individual files to a non-sharepoint location?  Or, will I need to rebuild a server with Sharepoint and then try the restore?

Thanks,

Linda

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Are you trying to restore ordinary files or SharePoint data?

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Have a look @ these 2 KBs -

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO61024

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH183772

Lastly, even when the original server doesn't exist, the container/resource should still be available under the Backup & Restore tab of the UI.

Linda_Lounsbury
Level 4

Thanks for all the responses.  I resolved my problem by Redirecting the restore of individual SharePoint 2010 objects to a file path using the instructions found in the admin guide.  I was not setting up a SharePoint restore, which is why I was having problems.  I was able to successfully restore all of my SharePoint documents to a standard unc path.