cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restores Fail After Upgrade from 9.1 to 10

Forrest_Smith
Level 3
After I upgraded from 9.1 to 10, I discovered restores fail on tapes that were written with 9.1. I am able to restore from tapes written since the upgrade. Tech Support told me re-catalog the tape, that catalogs change from 9.1 to 10. Given the backup job spanned 6 AIT 3 tapes, this recatalog seems a bit harsh. Is this behavior really to be expected? And will the recatalog work?
2 REPLIES 2

ray_littlefie1
Level 6
This happened to me as well. I found that only backups that spanned more than one tape where affected. Data was scrambled (Like data I know is from drive E: of a server was showing up under drive D: in the restore selection list). I was also getting double choices of the same backup in the restore selection list. Just overall messed up. I troubleshot with Veritas Tech Support for a few weeks, and then renamed the \catalogs directory to \catalogs_old restarted services and started to recatalog all my tapes (just under 100). It was a big project but it all came back, and it's all restorable. When it was all done I then compared the contents of the \catalog_old directory to the \catalogs directory The re-cataloging of tapes had used the new version 10.0 catalog file format *.fh & *.img (file history and image) as opposed to the legacy *.U01 format.

If you should go this route as well, be sure to perform an inventory job on each tape prior to running the catalog. Don't highlight all six tapes (or however many there are) and select 'catalog' . Rather, choose the oldest one and select it to catalog and it will pull the successive tapes automatically.

Hope that is some help and good luck

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Please let us know if the above response helped you.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.