Data domain -Dedupe backup

site two

Backup server 2012 Central server administration edition

Data domain -dedupe backup

site three

Backup Server 2012

Data Domain Backup-dedupe.

Tape device backup

If one site goes down lets say site one and I need to restore server from Tape backup at site three. I would need to move the tapes from site one to site three then do a inventory and catalog and then do a restore.   But that will take around 8 hours to do 10 1.6T Tape catalog...is there a better or faster way to accomplish this. Is there a way i can copy or sync the catalog from one server to another and when i insert the tapes into another site and when i do an inventory it automatically recongizes the whats in the tapes and shows me the servers(which are not originally in site 3) in the backup and restore tape. Someone told me another way to do a Datadomain replication and get a dedupe boost licensen and somehow the backup server on all sites will know if one Datadomain is down then to use data from another Datadomain device.  Basically i want another way to restore server to another site without doing long task of running catalog.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Don't let the Data Domains replicate the information. It has been made clear that if you do this, Backup Exec will not be aware of the catalogs and where the information comes from or is, and most likely not be able to restore it.

You should be reading up on the link I posted re. Backup Exec CAS and/or optimized dedupe as this will allow you to replicate backu psets between media servers, allowing you to ​restore from any of them.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV

DD Boost simply gets the data to the appliance faster. Don't let the Data Domain replicate data either otherwise BE will not know about the contents. You're interested in Backup Exec CASO, which is licensed with Enterprise Server Option. Read below on how this works:

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.HOWTO99068.html

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1) You should get the Boost licence for DD.  This will make the DD an OST appliance and offload the dedup processing to the DD, rather than DD doing it.  This is a performance boost. Also, when you connect the DD to the remote server and do client-side dedup, the data goes straight to the DD.

2) Regardless of whether you do get the Boost licence, with your CASO setup, you can do optimised duplication between the DD's.  You share the dedup folder (or the DD with Boost) with the other servers and then duplicate your backup sets from one DD to another.  With optimised duplication, only the changed/new data blocks would be transferred across the WAN link thus minimising bandwidth requirements.  You can then catalog the duplicated backup sets at the destination at your leisure.

3) Do not use the DD replication feature because this is akin to copying the backup sets.  This is not recommended.  See the document below

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH176061

StingRay2015
Level 3

I guess my main question was is there any way to void doing Catalog. I dont want to spend time on other BE servers doing a catalog of files on a SAN device share or Backup tapes. For example if one site goes down and we want to restore few servers. I would have to log into Disaster Recovery Site Backup Server then do a catatlog of the Tapes or a folder on a SAN device/Dedupe device  for the week i need then start the restore process. What is the best way for all the servers know about the Replicated content (backup data that have been replicated to that site from another site) or tape.  In DataDomain (which is a SAN device which does DeDupe and compression on hardware level) Case. We have datadomin in 3 sites. I do backup at site 1 then let datadomin do a replciation of a shared folder that contains backup files to site2 . Currently i have to do a inventory and then catalog at site 2 server to get all the information. Is there a faster way.

CraigV

Don't let the Data Domains replicate the information. It has been made clear that if you do this, Backup Exec will not be aware of the catalogs and where the information comes from or is, and most likely not be able to restore it.

You should be reading up on the link I posted re. Backup Exec CAS and/or optimized dedupe as this will allow you to replicate backu psets between media servers, allowing you to ​restore from any of them.

Thanks!