cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring Exchange Public folder - failing!

undecided
Level 2

Hi all,

I've got to restore a public folder database, I have the backup tape created with Symantec Backupexec 12.5, I no longer have the original exchange server, however I've tried redirected restore with no luck, I've also duplicated the tape to disk and can see the 200GB BKF file(this was not a GRT backup). I've tried using the trial version of http://www.recoveryfix.com/repair-bkf-file.html but it says it cannot read any info from the file. If I catalogue the tape I can see the public folder and logs in Backupexec. I tried creating a server with the same old name as the original server and installed exchange mailbox role and tried the restore but again this fails. On the target server I see the exec agent service goes to "stopped" when the exec server tries to perform the restore and then the exec server throws out an error that it lost communication with the target. I've tried these instructions http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO41822.

Is there any way to get the EDB files out of this tape?

Please any help much appreciated!

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

undecided
Level 2

Bump, please any suggestions I may try here would be very welcome!

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

What version of Exchange are we talking about ?
If the server was running Exchange 2007, only the exchange mailbox role is not enough, you will have to install the Client Access role also.

Can you also post the exact error messages of backup exec and eventlog of the exchange server.

undecided
Level 2

It is 2007, and yes only the mailbox role was installed. If I also install the client access role will this cause any issues with my current exchange 2010 since they will be co-existing for the restore process?

BTW - thanks for the suggestion.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Normally it will not cause any issues, but be carefull as I dont have all details about your environment.