cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring Exchange Server 2007 Mailbox into Exchange Server 2010

Symanticus
Level 6
Hi Everyone,

I’ve got all in one Exchange Server 2007 SP1 RU3 that got all in one role installed (HT-CAS-MBx) in Windows Server 2003 Standard R2 SP which is also running as domain controller with all FSMO role.

I’m planning to migrate all mailbox in the Exchange Server 2007 into the Exchange Server 2010 Standard that I have prepared in my Virtual Machine of Windows Server 2008 R2.
In my current Exchange Server 2007 SP1 I've backed up the mailbox using Backup Exec 2010 in case i can just restore the backed up mailbox into the new server 2010 if possible.

(Please also note that this Exchange Server 2007 SP1 got so many problem like – OOF email error in Outlook 2007, meeting scheduler stopped working, etc… therefore updating it into SP3 is not the way here)

Any kind of help and suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

AWT
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
You can try restoring the individual mailbox restore from exchange 2007 to exchange 2010 but it is not supported and the exchange 2010 has the complete different architecture.
The restore of individual mailbox might work as it worked in some cases for me but if you are planning to restore the complete database on the top of exchange 2010 then it will not work.

Also the restore of individual mailbox gives you issues while restoring. The best way is to do the migration from exchange side and don't try to do the restore of mailboxes

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

sksujeet
Level 6
You can try restoring the individual mailbox restore from exchange 2007 to exchange 2010 but it is not supported and the exchange 2010 has the complete different architecture.
The restore of individual mailbox might work as it worked in some cases for me but if you are planning to restore the complete database on the top of exchange 2010 then it will not work.

Also the restore of individual mailbox gives you issues while restoring. The best way is to do the migration from exchange side and don't try to do the restore of mailboxes

Symanticus
Level 6
(-_-)" so in this case if i want to restore my exchange serve 2007, then i have/must rebuild brand new Exchange Server 2007 SP3 and then migrate manually one by one using the exchange management console ?

sksujeet
Level 6
I think you mis typed it. It should have been 2010 there because restoring from same version of exchange should not be a problem at all. The problem is when you are trying it for different version of exchange.

Symanticus
Level 6
actually no Sazz, for me i'd like to simulate the mailbox restore process to get sort of ... baseline of time to restore, then it seems i must do it in two steps :|

restore to new exchange server 2007 and then migrate again to exchange server 2010.