cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring Exchange information store between old and new server

BFuddled
Level 2
An old server [OLDSERVER] that had Exchange 2003 on it, was backed up to tape. That server is now gone, and has been replaced with a Windows 2008 Server, with a different name [NEWSERVER]. This server has already had Backup Exec 12.5 on it with its own Backup Exec database.

Using BE 12.5, I've tried to restore the 2003 Exchange information store to the new server. I'm trying to extract a mailbox that was inadvertently deleted. I've tried the entire store and just the mailbox I need.

Because the old server (or it's Remote Agent) can't be found by the restore process, I'm getting this error: Final error: 0xe000846a -The job failed with the following error: The resource could not be restored because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent. Make sure that the correct version of the Remote Agent is installed and running on the target computer.
V-79-57344-3844 - The media server was unable to connect to the Remote Agent on machine OLDSERVER. The media server will use the local agent to try to complete the operation. Unable to attach to \\NEWSERVER\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group.

I've tried to redirect the restored files to a D:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\mbdata folder that I created just for the data, but I get a different error: An unsupported operation was attempted (of course I saw the warning; [Note: you cannot redirect database files using these settings. To redirect database files that are protected by licensed Backup Agents... Exchange, click the appropriate redirection title on the properties pane on the left.], but there was no properties pane on the left!!).

Any ideas?
Thanks,
BFuddled
10 REPLIES 10

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi there,

If it is just a couple of emails you are trying to restore, I would suggest reading up on this article I wrote a while back.
I use it to duplicate my backup jobs to disk, and from there I restore into a live Exchange IS. The reason for this is that the temporary staging area for the Exchange restore is on C:\Temp, and not many servers have the means to restore to the C:\ due to a lack of disk space.
Furthermore, when restoring from tape you tend to get a lot of errors. Try it, and post the results here...

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-using-backup-exec-howto

CraigV
Hi,

Have you come right here...?

BFuddled
Level 2
CraigV: 

I had to put this off; although I still need to complete this task, it has been moved to the back burner. I did try your article, but got an error message, and I may have a corrupted backup. I hope to revisit this soon, so thank you for your direction, and as soon as I have some end in sight, I'll come back to mark the solution status appropriately.

Thanks for your patience,
BFuddled

CraigV
Hi,

Did you ever get this working?

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Why kicking an old topic of 21 weeks ago ?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
To see if the information providied was a solution and get the thread marked as such?

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Then you can also send the Topic Starter a personal message.

It's pretty annoying if a lot of old topics just pop up to the top of the list just to ask if it is soled?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
It's pretty annoying if a lot of old topics just pop up to the top of the list just to ask if it is soled?

In future, you can avoid aggravating yourself by looking at when the discussion was first posted and ignoring those that are too old.

CraigV
Absolutely no need to read the forum query and post on it if you don't want too.
The fact of the matter is this:

1. PM'd the user...no answer.
2. Sent a message in the original forum query

We all want to see solutions to issues, and because people don't close them off, we don't know who, or what the solution is. So for future reference, when someone else has this issue, they don't know if it worked or not.

That is the reason for doing that.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I agree that it is nice to have issues resolved, and also marked as resolved for future use.
But if the user is not responding to PM they will probably never come back to this forum as their issue is resolved.
By kicking the topic back to the top you reach nothing, as the user will not be on the forum anymore.

That's why I try to start the discussion it is no use to kick these old topics.
But fair enough, this will be the last post I do about this 'kicking old topics'. I just hope Symantec will do anything about it, maybe they can implement an autmatic mail-system if a post is more than 4 weeks, and still not marked as solved, send a mail to the topic starter.