cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring Files/Folders from Tape Backup

Cooki3Dude
Level 2

Hi all

So, I have a bit of a problem. I accidentally deleted the wrong folder from our work server yesterday (Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard), but we have a nightly backup to a tape drive, so I went onto the backup software (Symantec Backup Exec 2012) to restore the data. However, using the restore wizard it has been "Querying for data" for approximately 12 hours... is this normal?? Is it possible to restore files/folders from a tape backup, or would we have to restore the whole system? Do I just need to wait a long time for the system to find the data?  I'm a designer with a decent knowledge of IT but Server/Server backups/Tape are all pretty new to me!

We have a spare 2Tb NAS drive so I could potentially restore all of the data to this (approximately 600gb), would this be a more viable approach?

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

Yes you should be able to recover the lost file from the tape ,just need to go to the server and click on restore and it should display you the catalog information for the data to be restored and moreover it should not take that much amount of time it would be more good if you add a snap of same here to be more precise

Thanks

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

Yes you should be able to recover the lost file from the tape ,just need to go to the server and click on restore and it should display you the catalog information for the data to be restored and moreover it should not take that much amount of time it would be more good if you add a snap of same here to be more precise

Thanks

Cooki3Dude
Level 2

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response, it is now working as expected.  I guess there must have been a glitch with the connection when I tried yesterday.