cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring Individual Files and Folders to a virtual machine

JAW
Level 2

We are running backups on a clustered Hyper V virtual network.  The VMs include application servers and file storage.  We have been told by multiple Symantec support reps that GRT allows resoration of individual files and folders on the application servers.  However, when we try to do a specific restore we are unable to find an option that allows us to dig down to the level of individual files and so are unable to make specific selections.  The bottom level we are able to access is Shadow copies and VHDs.

What are we diong wrong?

9 REPLIES 9

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

To do GRT restores of VMs you need the RAWS agent installed.

Check the link below...the details are the same for a number of versions:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO74442

Thanks!

JAW
Level 2

Those are already installed on the VMs

roysbrew
Level 3

Craig,

I have this same issue.  We have the agents on the vm.  I can restore the entire vm and the vhds but have no option to restore individual files or folders.

Roy

lmosla
Level 6

Hey Ray,  What version of Backup Exec are you using? Please send a screen shot of your selection list.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you want to restore individual files/folders, you should expand the netbios/FQDN of the VM to see the individual files/folders.  You would not be able to see individual files/folders if you try to expand the VM under the VM host.

If you have done the above and is still unable to see the individual files/folders, do a backup of the VM as a physical machine.  You would then be able to restore individual files/folders from your VM backups by clicking on the VM's netbios name/FQDN 

roysbrew
Level 3

Everything I have read and seen says the wrst thing we could do is backup the vm like they were physical servers.  That being said I have done that and it works, but it is not the long term solution to my problem.This is all that I see.  Right now I only have 1 vm running in my cluster.  Raisers Edge is the name of the vm that I am trying to recover files from.  I can restore the entire VM and I can restor the vhds.  But I have nothing at the file or folder level inside the vm.

roysbrew
Level 3

We are using BE 2012 version 14.0 Re. 1798 64 bit.

lmosla
Level 6

You are performing your backups correctly but to do the GRT restores select the actual physical server and drill down to the files you want to restore.

Hope this helps

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You are selecting the cluster for restore that is why you cannot restore individual files/folders.  Go back one screen and look at your list of servers.  You should see Raisers Edge.  Select and expand Raisers Edge.  You would then be able to see the individual files/folders.