cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring SQL databases using a backup tape from a subsidiary

RoninDev
Level 2
I have received a backup tape from a subsidiary office that was made using BE 11d that contains several SQL databases. I need to restore these databases to one of my servers in my local office, but every attempt with Backup Exec 11d on my server has failed. I have even upgraded to Version 12.5 and I have added the SQL agent as well, but each time I try to restore these SQL databases to my local server, I get the following error message.

'Unable to attach to a resource.  Make sure that all selected resources exist and are online, and then try again.  If the server or resource no longer exists, remove it from the selection list. Edit the selection list properties, click the View Selection Details tab, and then remove the resource.'

Here's what I have done:
  1. I have selected the databases in the Selections properties under Source.
  2. Under Resource Credentials, I cleared the 'System Logon' account from the Domain Name of the resource.
  3. Under Microsoft SQL Redirection, I clicked 'Redirect Microsoft SQL Server Sets and entered the target SQL Server database name and instance name.
  4. Under Destination Options on this same page, I clicked 'Use destination instance's default data directory.'
  5. Under Server/Database Credentials, I entered the 'sa' login and password for the target database server.
  6. Under 'General' in Settings, I selected the following: 'Overwrite Existing Files' and 'Restore All Information Except Security for Files and Directories.'
  7. I left the defaults under 'Microsoft SQL' in Settings.
Is there a trick to getting Backup Exec to restore a SQL database from a foreign backup to a different server on a different domain? I am in urgent need of help in getting these SQL databases restored to my local server.

Thanks very much!
5 REPLIES 5

RoninDev
Level 2

I forgot to add one detail. I inventoried and cataloged the backup tape from our subsidiary and it appears to be readily available in my tape library.

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
On the destination server, i hope you do have remote agent installed. Also, before starting with restore, go to backup selections, try expanding the destination server and see if SQL selections and the databases are available there. If that does not work, first you would need to get that working and then restore would work.

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.
Thanks

RoninDev
Level 2
Thanks, yes, I do have the remote agent installed on the destination server (Server B). Eventually, I'd like to restore these same databases to the Backup Exec server (Server A) where the backup tape from the California office's Server X is currently loaded into the tape device, but I assume that I don't need the remote agent to restore files and databases to Server A itself.

Also, since these specific databases never existed on Server B, they do not appear in the SQL selections for Server B. However, they do correctly appear under 'View by Media' and 'View by Resource' in the Selections page under 'Source.'

Thank you for your help.

RoninDev
Level 2
If the databases appear as they should in the Selections page and I cleared the System Logon Account from the Resource Credentials page for the foreign domain resource, should the restore work? Or can I not do that?

What is the proper procedure for restoring databases or files from a backup tape that comes from another domain?

Thanks.

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
I believe you are doing redirection, so in the redirection tab, use a logon account with admin privileges on target machine for selection of server, use sa account only for SQL instance.

Thanks