Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring SQL server 2008 R2

Nene
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hello People,

I tested restoring SQL 2008 that was backed up with BEWS 2010 R3 and now i am having an issue because the SQL server has the databases with the restoring notification displayed against it.

I cannot stop or take the databases offline. I cannot delete the location where the test backup was placed. I get an error that it is open in another program.

I cannot carry out any backup because the restore has been going on for the past 2 weeks. I just selected all the nodes to restore including the master

Please what can i do? Though this was a test and some of the databases are not in use. Why is it still restoring?

5 REPLIES 5

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

I cannot carry out any backup because the restore has been going on for the past 2 weeks.

Is the byte count moving for the restore job? Do you see any alerts in the alerts tab?

GrayFog
Level 3

It is hard to tell what the problem here is, double click on the running job and take a look at the job history maybe there is already something indicated.

But if the byte count is not moving why not abort the job? Surely the agent on the target SQL server has all the DBs open and woudn't let them go while the job still runs...

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...couple of other things to check out:

1. The RAWS agent is running on the target server and publishing correctly to your media server, either via IP address of server name.

2. Did you use AOFO when running the backup? If so, it's not recommended. Run a backup without AOFO and then try the restore again.

3. To cancel the job, try stopping the RAWS agent on the remote server. If this is a test server, you can delete the databases shown, so try stopping the SQL services on this server (if possible) before doing so.

Nene
Level 6
Partner Accredited

The restore job on the media server console showed that it failedso there is no job running at all.

Nene
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Craig,

I will try to stop the SQL services and see what can be achieved from there.

Thank you.