cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring Windows Server 2012 w/ADDS and DNS to Hyper-V

Zajac-001
Level 2

So I have one DC in my environment that I would like to upgrade from Windows Server 2012 to Windows Server 2012 r2. I thought before I upgrade the production server I would convert it to a Hyper-V virtual machine and preform the upgrade on a machine that can be deleted if the upgrade goes horribly wrong. So I was able to restore to a virtual machine,   the machine powers on, I was unable to open any of the ADDS  administration consoles until I added a Microsoft loop back legacy NIC. To make matters worse when I try to run the in place upgrade from Windows Server 2012 to Windows Server 2012 r2 I receive and error asking me to first run ADPREP /FORESTPREP and /DOMAINPREP. Unfortunately when I run either one of these commands I receive an error saying that that ADPREP can find the DNS name for the domain or forest. Any way my question is how do I restore an ADDS server to a virtual machine and bring up all the services so that it functions in the capacity that the physical machine was functioning but in a closed environment. Thanks for your time and consideration of my inquiry.

Best regards,

Zajac

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...BE would be used to restore it, and then you'd follow Microsoft best practice to place that DC into an AD Recovery Mode.

The steps would be outlined by Microsoft.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV

Hi,

Honestly more of a question for the Microsoft forums...BE is just there to facilitate the restore. You need to ask this in the Hyper-V forums and ask for guidance on doing this in a disaster recovery mode.

Thanks!

Zajac-001
Level 2

Ok then what would the steps be to retore a full Domain Controler? in general this would be done from BE and we would point to where we want the restore to go and set it to start. once it completes is there anything else that would need to be done?

CraigV

...BE would be used to restore it, and then you'd follow Microsoft best practice to place that DC into an AD Recovery Mode.

The steps would be outlined by Microsoft.

Thanks!