cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring a LUN volume on a NetApp device

Scott_Bailey
Level 4
Hi,

We are trying to restore a LUN that is located on a StoreVault S550 device (now called NetApp S550) and we are having issues.   This is test to see if it works.  I have been in contact with NetApp and they aren't having much luck.

Here is the information about equipment:

Software: Backup Exec v12 rev 1364
Tape Drive: HP Autoloader 1/8

When trying to restore a LUN (that still exists on NetApp device) we get the following error:

NDMP Log Message: RESTORE: Sat Dec 19 10:31:53 2009: Begin level 0 restore
NDMP Log Message: RESTORE: Sat Dec 19 10:31:53 2009: Reading directories from the backup
NDMP Log Message: RESTORE: Sat Dec 19 10:32:04 2009: Creating files and directories.
NDMP Log Message: RESTORE: Warning: cannot create file on online vdisk ./opstest 
NDMP Log Message: RESTORE: The directory: ./restore_symboltable could not be restored with its original name.
NDMP Log Message: RESTORE: It has been renamed to: ./rstabRENAME4B64ABF6
NDMP Log Message: RESTORE: Sat Dec 19 10:32:06 2009: Writing data to files.
NDMP Log Message: RESTORE: File creation failed on online vdisk: ./opstest
NDMP Log Message: RESTORE: File creation failed on online vdisk: ./opstest_ntstreams_5300000/attributes
NDMP Log Message: RESTORE: File creation failed on online vdisk: ./opstest_ntstreams_5300000/lunmap
NDMP Log Message: RESTORE: File creation failed on online vdisk: ./opstest_ntstreams_5300000/prefix
NDMP Log Message: RESTORE: File creation failed on online vdisk: ./opstest_ntstreams_5300000/suffix
NDMP Log Message: RESTORE: File creation failed on online vdisk: ./opstest_ntstreams_5300000/persistent.reservations
NDMP Log Message: RESTORE: RESTORE IS DONE
NDMP Data Halted: Succesful
NDMP Mover Halted: Connect Closed
I thought it might have something to the LUN still existing on the NetApp device, so I deleted it.  Now I get the following error:

NDMP Log Message: RESTORE: Sun Dec 20 15:53:19 2009: Begin level 0 restore
NDMP Log Message: RESTORE: Sun Dec 20 15:53:19 2009: Reading directories from the backup
NDMP Log Message: RESTORE: Sun Dec 20 15:53:30 2009: Creating files and directories.
NDMP Log Message: RESTORE: The directory: ./restore_symboltable could not be restored with its original name.
NDMP Log Message: RESTORE: It has been renamed to: ./rstabRENAME4B64ABF6
NDMP Log Message: RESTORE: Sun Dec 20 15:53:33 2009: Writing data to files.
NDMP Log Message: RESTORE: LUN files can only be restored to qtree root directories
NDMP Log Message: RESTORE: can't mark as LUN: ./opstest: Undefined error: 0
NDMP Log Message: RESTORE: RESTORE IS DONE
NDMP Data Halted: Succesful
NDMP Mover Halted: Connect Closed
I am needing help and was hoping someone had run across this issue.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!

Thanks,

Scott
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
You cannot restore a single file into the root of a volume - your choices are

1) Restore the whole volume containing the LUN (might not be that useful)
2) Create a Qtree on a folder and restore the LUN into that Qtree - note this is assuming that your LUN was oriiginally on the root of the volume and not in a qtree folder already - if it was in a qtree folder already you will have to make sure you have the latest hotfixes installed, then modify the registry, then create your qtree subfolder to restore to, the do a redirected restore (as per http://entsupport.symantec.com/docs/316576 )

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Colin_Weaver
You cannot restore a single file into the root of a volume - your choices are

1) Restore the whole volume containing the LUN (might not be that useful)
2) Create a Qtree on a folder and restore the LUN into that Qtree - note this is assuming that your LUN was oriiginally on the root of the volume and not in a qtree folder already - if it was in a qtree folder already you will have to make sure you have the latest hotfixes installed, then modify the registry, then create your qtree subfolder to restore to, the do a redirected restore (as per http://entsupport.symantec.com/docs/316576 )

Scott_Bailey
Level 4
It appears that the hotfix is for v12.5.  Is there anything for v12.0?

Colin_Weaver
Nope you will have to upgrade 12.0 is unlikely to be fixed for this LUN issue - especially as BE 2010 is about to be released

Scott_Bailey
Level 4
Will the issue be resolved with BE 2010 and if so, do you know the release date?

Thanks.

Scott_Bailey
Level 4
I was just wanting to verify that the issue with restoring to a NetApp filer that affects Backup Exec v12.5 also affects v12.0?

Scott_Bailey
Level 4
I should be able to backup NAS Shares and SAN LUNs, if the tape drive is connected directly to the NetApp device using the following software correct:

- Symantec Backup Exec
- NDMP option

There isn't another option I would have to use from Symantec would I?

Thanks.

teiva-boy
Level 6
 NDMP is simply SCSI commands wrapped into a network protocol, telling a device (in your case a NetApp StoreVault) to move data on XX volume to Y target (based on SCSI ID's).
In the case of BE 12 and older, it only supports direct attach tape.  12.5 allows for remote and 3-way in addition to.

1. Without NDMP, you can backup the actual network NFS/CIFS shares (slow but workable)
-Or-
        2.  If your NAS can also serve out direct LUN's to server hosts via FC or iSCSI, then use a remote agent on the servers attached to those LUN's and back               them up like you would any other server.

The benefit to NDMP is that you are getting direct access to the LUN, and can move data more efficiently to the eventual target (WAFL is better than NTFS IMO).  Frankly I'm not a fan, and the restrictions for a restore suck (as you are figuring out)  Think, 5 years from now, you need to restore something...  Gosh I hope you have access to another StoreVault

Scott_Bailey
Level 4
Yeah, I know what you mean in regards to restoring to a StoreVault 5 years from now.  It sure was nice of them to discontinue the product.

We currently have another StoreVault device and we are replicating all the NAS shares and SAN LUNs to it.  We also take snapshots of the shares and LUNs.  The backup tape is another method of backing up our data.  It would be used in extremely bad situation but obviously it needs to work.

Can I use Backup Exec to backup a NAS Share through a server?  Do I just need a Remote Access Client license to do that?

I like the current set up but its not doing us any good if I can't restore from tape.

teiva-boy
Level 6
 BE can be setup to just backup a CIFS share directly.  Technically an agent needs to be licensed, or so I've heard.  (even though it's never installed)

Ultimately, this is more or less what you'll do and more than likely see as an error.  Just follow this, and understand you may have an error upon completion, but it's nothing.
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/330213.htm

Be sure to test restores periodically!

Scott_Bailey
Level 4
Thanks for the help tevia-boy. 

Have you ever used NetApp products? If so, have you ever backed up the LUN itself and performed a restore using Backup Exec?  I know you mentioned the downfalls of doing this, but I was wondering if you had ever done it?

Thanks.

teiva-boy
Level 6
 I've only done it with NetBackup.  The qtree method has worked for me other than that in the few cases I needed items.

That said, I despise NDMP...  If I can use the filer with iSCSI attached to actual servers, I'll do that.  

I do snap shots of volumes 4 times a day, with up to a week or two worth of snaps.  Most recoveries are needed within days anyways...

Backups of the servers with their LUN's coming off the filer via iSCSI or FC

And backup via CIFS or NFS outside of that for flatfiles...

NDMP is just too restrictive.

Scott_Bailey
Level 4
Kind of an odd question, but are the backup and restore processes (basically the methods used to backup and restore files) the same between Backup Exec versions?

Thanks.

Scott_Bailey
Level 4
Hi tevia-boy,

I am trying to make a backup of our NAS shares through Backup Exec via non-ndmpd and I get the following message:

"Jobs with NDMP Backup selections must be targeted to an NDMP device."

I figured I must disable NDMP, so I ran the command "ndmpd off". 

Now when I try to access the NAS shares through Backup Exec I get an access denied error.  Any ideas on what I can do?

Thanks.

Colin_Weaver

Sorry was unavailable to continue answering across Holiday period

the 12.5 issue will definitely affect 12.0 as well - hopefully other items of info have been answers in other posts/private messages.

Rgds

Colin