cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring a SQL Server 2012 named instance to a different server

namartin
Not applicable

I am trying to restore a named instance SQL Server 2012 database to a different server using BackupExec 2012.

The database is a production database that is being restored to a lab server to act as a test database for development.

I have been able to restore databases in the default instance to a different server but similar attempts for a named instance have failed.

So if the original database is ABC running on DBSERVER\SOME_INSTANCE I am attempting to redirect the restore to DBTEST\SOME_INSTANCE and expecting ABC to appear in the 'Databases' folder when using SQL Server Management Studio to look at DBTEST\SOME_INSTANCE.

There is already a matching named instance set up on the test server but it is the default setup for an empty database server.

The restore is using a full backup.

The agent is installed on the DBTEST server (and works for restoring databases to the default instance).

The user account for the restore has sysadmin rights on both the default and the SOME_INSTANCE instance on the DBTEST server and is assigned backupoperator priviledges on the msdb database in both cases.

The "Redirect the data to a different SQL Server instance and/or database name" option is selected and the string 'DBTEST\SOME_INSTANCE' is used for the "SQL server or instance" field.

The attempt generates the following message 

Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000848c - Unable to attach to a resource.  Make sure that all selected resources exist and are online, and then try again.  If the server or resource no longer exists, remove it from the selection list. Edit the selection list properties, click the View Selection Details tab, and then remove the resource.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33932

Is there something else that is necessary to do when restoring a named instance of SQL Server as opposed to the default instance?

0 REPLIES 0