cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring a domain Server

heinemasterklm
Level 3

Hi all, I am pretty new to BE2010 so please kindly advise and forget me for answering simple questions. Thanks.

Right now I have a Domain Server (win2003), and I have been using BE2010 to backup the Server as a domain user.  The backed up files are saved onto a joined domain NAS.

My question is: If the Server goes down suddenly, how am I going to restore the Domain Server from the backed up files? When the domain goes down, how am I supposed to retrieve the connectivity?  Are there any pre-requisities steps that I have to perform to restore the Server? What exact steps do I have to follow? How details can it be?

Thanks.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If this server is the only server in your domain it will be more or less these steps:

(1) make sure you have also no-domain users on your nas, if the domain is gone, you must be able to logon to it to get data from it.
(2) if the server has crashed completely, you will have to install a new server (can be standalone). Install Backup Exec 2010 on it.
(3) In BE 2010, create a Backup2disk folder, and point to the NAS with using local NAS credentials
(4) inventory and catalog the B2D folder
(5) Select the server (including systemstate) from the catalog and restore to the local server.
(6) Reboot the server and depending on the applications installed on it, it will be running again.
   If it was running for example exchange you will have to restore again, but only exchange. Probably the same for SQL etc.

This will cost you a lot of time, so make sure that your Management knows about this!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If this server is the only server in your domain it will be more or less these steps:

(1) make sure you have also no-domain users on your nas, if the domain is gone, you must be able to logon to it to get data from it.
(2) if the server has crashed completely, you will have to install a new server (can be standalone). Install Backup Exec 2010 on it.
(3) In BE 2010, create a Backup2disk folder, and point to the NAS with using local NAS credentials
(4) inventory and catalog the B2D folder
(5) Select the server (including systemstate) from the catalog and restore to the local server.
(6) Reboot the server and depending on the applications installed on it, it will be running again.
   If it was running for example exchange you will have to restore again, but only exchange. Probably the same for SQL etc.

This will cost you a lot of time, so make sure that your Management knows about this!

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

These 2 technotes should give you all the information needed for recovering a Domain Controller.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/236240.htm

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/236286.htm