cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring a file backed up with BEX 2.35.2

senoj_nai
Level 1

We *used* to use BEX up until 7 years ago.  We have some tapes stored offsite whose data retention period is 10 years (for legal reasons).  I have been asked by our data security team whether it would be possible for someone to recover this data if the tape were to be stolen.

My question then is this:  Is there a version of BEX available for download that can be used to restore this data?

Cheers,
Ian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

As well as Larry's info

Backup Exec writes to tapes in MTF (so unless they were encrypted at the time of the backup) any utility that can read MTF can read the basic data stream for the tape, not just Backup Exec.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

I have no idea what version 2.35.2 is.  Seven years ago, you might have been using Backup Exec 2010, or before that was Backup Exec 12.5 or 12.0.

Regardless, unless your tapes were made with encryption, it is best to assume that they could be read and data restored.  Files would be very easy to restore.  Databases (SQL, Exchange, etc) would require the proper environment to access whatever was restorable.

Even tapes & disks made today without encryption are vulnerable if they fall into the wrong hands.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

As well as Larry's info

Backup Exec writes to tapes in MTF (so unless they were encrypted at the time of the backup) any utility that can read MTF can read the basic data stream for the tape, not just Backup Exec.