cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring a mailbox folder in Exchange 2003

ronmer
Level 3

I am looking for guidance on how to restore a specific folder in a users mailbox?  Having never had to restore any exchange objects, I am very much new to what needs to be done.

Currently we are running BackupExec 12.5 with the data being saved to a Disk Device called a Quantum ix3500  vs  our old Tape device.

We have a granular restore license on BE12.5 which allows me to see the specific folder in the users mailbox that I am trying to recover.

To date, I have:

1.Set up a Recovery Storage Group on my Exchange Server EXCH01 and added the Information Store database that contains the users database to the RSG.

2. I have been reading both the BE12.5 documentation and Microsoft KB articles pertaining to restoring to a RSG.  Intellectually I understand what needs to be done,  but implementing it seems to be something completely different.  Seems that BE12.5 understands how to restore to an RSG in Exchange2007 but in 2003 things seem murky at best and the Microsoft documentation seems to only consider if you used a Microsoft tool to backup your Exchange Data.  What this means, is that I am at a loss on how to interpret how these two systems (BE12.5 and my Exchange Server) interact with each other.

2a. I want to believe that if I do a restore from BE12.5, it is going to know to write to the RSG. Although I am leary of this as I have not seen any documentation that says conclusively that if I have an RSG, BE12.5 will recognize that and restore the db files to the directory that the RSG point to. 

3. I cannot under any circumstances take offline my production Information Stores since this is our only Exchange Server.  I have no failover or “clustered server”.

4. I need to learn how this works and I need to set up an environment that I can keep in place so that it is available for use anytime I need it in the future.

If anyone can be of any assistance in the area of Exchange mailbox folder Restores/Recovery please respond to this post

Thanks.

Respectfully,
Ron Merrifield

7 REPLIES 7

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Ron,

I wrote an article about restoring from Exchange using a duplicate-to-disk job. This has worked very successfully for me. It was written using BEWS 11D, but I have since used it for BEWS 12.5 as well, and this was restoring data into Exchange 2003.
Give it a read...

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-using-backup-exec-howto

You won't need to take your IS offline at all.

Laters!

ronmer
Level 3
Well, almost there, I think.  The d2d to create the image of the IS went no problem.  It was when I tried to do the restore from the image that I ran into errors. 

Errors:
Job ended: Friday, November 13, 2009 at 11:56:04 AM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00002f5 - Cannot back up one or more properties for one or more mail messages. Review the resource credentials for the job, and then run the job again.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-757
Click an exception below to locate it in the job log

With regards to the rescource error.  The link talks about having a unique logon.  I use one called backupexec.  I have no other username than uses the first five letters of this unique name.  I have given rights/permissions to everything that I can think off backupexec and my Domain Administrator account, the users mailbox, temp folders on my exchange server....

What is this skipped by user message?? Is this because I can't log into the mailbox?? or because the user is currently logged into their OUTLOOK.

Does this failure have anything to do with the fact that I have an RSG on the Exchange server at this time.  Should I be removing that??

When I go through the restore on the BE12.5 server, Do I need to any re-direction, or on the 2nd Exchange options page, is there anything that I should setting on there.

I need to get this folder restored and I am about at my wits end in trying to get BE to write back to this users mailbox.  I know I can access it when I give myself rights to the mailbox, why can't BE figure this out?

First off, I created an RSG on my Exchange2003 Ent server.

CraigV
Hi,

I've never used RSG. I've simply restored into the Exchange IS.
I've posted a link to another similar topic to your error you're now getting. 1 of the poster's mentions not being able to restore individual items to an RSG. It's not something I have played with, so give it a read...it will help, or should at least!

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/rsg-mailbox-restore-issue-exception-item-skipped-user

ronmer
Level 3
ok.  Determinded the problem was not RSG as I removed that from my Exch2003Ent server. When I start the restore and open up the job to view at the progress, I can see it going down into the folders for the user that I'm trying to restore to.  It gets down to something like 8 dir and 56 some odd files and then throws the error below.

Job ended: Saturday, November 14, 2009 at 5:31:03 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00002f5 - Cannot back up one or more properties for one or more mail messages. Review the resource credentials for the job, and then run the job again.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-757
I have created a unique user account called alrestore. There is nothing else in the IS that has the same first five letters. Any ideas on how to get around this authentication issue?

ronmer
Level 3

ok, got past the authentication issue only to run into this one.  see error below.

Exact Error Message
Final error: 0xe00002fc - Cannot restore one or more mailboxes. The database that the mailboxes reside in is dismounted or is not accessible. Ensure that the server is available and that the database is mounted, and then run the job again .

Well, the database is most certainly not dismounted and the server is definately available. I will be reading the detail that goes along with this error, however, if you have any other detail that can be passed along.  It will be duly considered.  Thanks for all your input to date.

-Ron

ronmer
Level 3

ok, got past the authentication issue only to run into this one.  see error below.

Exact Error Message
Final error: 0xe00002fc - Cannot restore one or more mailboxes. The database that the mailboxes reside in is dismounted or is not accessible. Ensure that the server is available and that the database is mounted, and then run the job again .

Well, the database is most certainly not dismounted and the server is definately available. I will be reading the detail that goes along with this error, however, if you have any other detail that can be passed along.  It will be duly considered.  Thanks for all your input to date.

-Ron

CraigV
Hi Ron,

Does that service account have proper rights to Exchange?
Have you delegated rights to it in Exchange Administrator?