cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring a secondary Domain Controller VM

SOAdmin
Not applicable

Hello BE forum,

I have a question which I hope has a simple solution, but I seem to be having trouble finding a definite answer for.  Over the weekend we had one of our DCs fail to boot due to an accidental hard bounce, and we have a good backup from the evening before it occurred, including the AD state.  This is not our primary DC, and has no authoritative roles.  Is the best path to restore the VM in its entirety and do a non-authoritative restore of AD to get it updated?  In this case, since we have the system state, is it simply to restore the VM and let it boot normally and let it catch up?

This latest backup we have is from Friday evening, and it is now Monday, but I'm not sure if that amount of time is a concern.  We are currently using BE 2010 R2.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello there,

You can restore the complete VM. After the restore when the VM is up and running it will get the data replicated to it from the Primary DC. This is according to the role it has been set in the AD.

Thanks,

-Sush...

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello there,

You can restore the complete VM. After the restore when the VM is up and running it will get the data replicated to it from the Primary DC. This is according to the role it has been set in the AD.

Thanks,

-Sush...