cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring a single outlook folder from Exchange Backup

DaveJones
Level 3

Hi,

One of our users has deleted a folder from their mailbox, and it needs to be recovered from a backup tape. Can I resotre the mailbox from the tape backup to say a .PST or something similar?

Ayn ideas on how to go about this?

Using backup exec 12.5

Thanks

David

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

No you can't. If you have used GRT to back up to tape, it's going to do a temporary stage to disk (default: C:\Temp), and THEN it will restore the data you want.

You cannot direct it to a *.pst, but can redirect to another mailbox if need be.

I had issues restoring directly from tape in 11d and 12.5 (something corrected in 2010 upwards), so you might want to duplicate to disk manually first, then restore the data.

You can follow my article below on how to do this:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-using-backup-exec-howto

Also, by duplicating to disk you're left with the *.edb so in this case you can export to a *.pst, but need a third party application to pull that information out...

Thanks!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Did you do the backups with GRT enabled?

If yes, do you have enough disk space on the media server to stage the restore? (because it is on tape we need a staging area to hold a copy of the mailbox store, which happens when Backup Exec is performing the resstore process.)

CraigV

Hi,

No you can't. If you have used GRT to back up to tape, it's going to do a temporary stage to disk (default: C:\Temp), and THEN it will restore the data you want.

You cannot direct it to a *.pst, but can redirect to another mailbox if need be.

I had issues restoring directly from tape in 11d and 12.5 (something corrected in 2010 upwards), so you might want to duplicate to disk manually first, then restore the data.

You can follow my article below on how to do this:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-using-backup-exec-howto

Also, by duplicating to disk you're left with the *.edb so in this case you can export to a *.pst, but need a third party application to pull that information out...

Thanks!

DaveJones
Level 3

Ok let me know if I've understood this.

I've set it to restore a single users mailbox and redirected to a local drive on the backup server. 

Its going to restore the entire mail store to a temp directory first then restore the mailbox I specified to the redirected location. (I've specified the temp as Backupserver d:\ which has loads of spare capacity)

Then it will leave me with a *.edb file in the redirected location, from which i'm going to have to use a third party program to extract actual mail.

And all of this doesn't effect the Exchange server etc. 

P.S. Yes I'm using GRT

Is this the way to go about it?

CraigV

No, it works like this:

1. select data to restore and start the restore.

2. BE temporarily stages to C:\Temp by default, or a drive you have selected in Tools --> Options --> Microsoft Exchange.

3. Once staged, BE restores your data.

4. Once data is restored, the temporarily staged Exchange IS is deleted.

If you stage manually as per my article you're left with the *.edb and any logs used during that backup. You can restore to a *.pst from that with a third-party application, but then have to delete manually yourself.

Restoring through BE using a normal job doesn't affect BE in any way unless you explicitly selected the option to dismount and then remount. It does this seamlessly to Exchange. Doing the temporary duplicate-to-disk yourself also doesn't affect Exchange in any way.

Thanks!