cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring an individual email folder with GRT Tape Backup

Linda_Lounsbury
Level 4

Hi,

I am running BE2010 r3 and am taking GRT full backups of Exchange 2007 to tape.  I want to restore a single email folder to a user's mailbox.  I can see and select the email folder from BE restore panel.  As I have never done any kind of email restore, I am not sure how to set up the restore job.  I would like some guidance, please.  Also, I would like to know if the restore will add the folder to the user's mailbox in the same place in the folder tree as it was when it was backed up?  At this point, the folder I am restoring doesn't exist in the user's mailbox.  I do understand that since I am restoring from tape, the restore job will have to restore the entire IS to a hard drive before it can restore an individual folder/email.

Thanks, 

Linda

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Linda,

With a GRT backup to tape of Exchange, it has to stage the Information Store to disk...no way around this. The default location is C:\Temp, and you need as much free space on the C:\ drive as the Information Store is big. If you don't have this, you can change it to a drive that will cater for this.

Once the restore is performed, the temporary data is deleted automatically.

THe restore, if you decide not to redirect or restore to another server for instance, will default to the original location.

You can also try duplicating the IS to disk first, and then doing the restore, as per my article below:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-using-backup-exec-howto

Thanks!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Linda,

With a GRT backup to tape of Exchange, it has to stage the Information Store to disk...no way around this. The default location is C:\Temp, and you need as much free space on the C:\ drive as the Information Store is big. If you don't have this, you can change it to a drive that will cater for this.

Once the restore is performed, the temporary data is deleted automatically.

THe restore, if you decide not to redirect or restore to another server for instance, will default to the original location.

You can also try duplicating the IS to disk first, and then doing the restore, as per my article below:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-using-backup-exec-howto

Thanks!

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I think CraigV missed on explaining the point that was actually a question here.

Also, I would like to know if the restore will add the folder to the user's mailbox in the same place in the folder tree as it was when it was backed up?  At this point, the folder I am restoring doesn't exist in the user's mailbox.

--> Yes, If the folder in the Mailbox from where it was backed up is not present then the restore will create a folder with the same name and then restore the contents (emails) of that folder.

Rest all the important things are explained by CraigV above.

Regards,

-Sush...