cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring emails fails after creating a duplicate copy of the IS database

burtos
Level 5

I have followed the guide below and have created the image of the exchange IS database from a tape backup.

http://www.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-using-backu...

But everytime i try and restore the emails i need i keep getting the following error after about 4 or 5 seconds.

Error category    : Resource Errors
Error             : e000848c - Unable to attach to a resource.  Make sure that all selected resources exist and are online, and then try again.  If the server or resource no longer exists, remove it from the selection list. Edit the selection list properties, click the View Selection D
For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33932

The folder in question appears in backup exec as ready and when i move the image from one folder to another and back again the inventory on it updates correctly, also the status fo the folder is showing as ready.

Its the same folder that the duplicate job used, so i know it must be able to be seen by backup Exec.

But im not sure sure why this error keeps appearing

The backup user account has full control on the folder.

2 REPLIES 2

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Unable to attach to a resource is often a permissions/right issue. Have you previously been able to perform restore jobs to this same server. This may be a permission issue not just on the media server side but possibly on the exchange machine. Please verify that the logon account being used has the appropriate rights as well as an active mailbox. What version of Exchange are you running?

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH184449

The above article refers to the backup of exchange but these permissions are neccessary for restore as well.

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Confirm if the Account used for backups and restore is the same. Also, see if the Backup Exec Service account (BESA) is the same as well. If it is the same make sure that it has an active mailbox on the exchange server which is not hidden from the Exchange Address List.

If the BESA is a different account, then it needs to have an active mailbox which is not hidden from the Exchange Address List.

These account/s need to be an Exchange Full Administrator (Exchange 2k3) / Exchange Organization administrator (Exchange 2007) / member of the Exchange Organization Management (Exchange 2010)

Also make sure that the Exchange Management console on the Media Server is the same service pack and Roll-up as the Exchange server (Only for Exchange 2007 and 2010)