cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring file and folder quotas (as opposed to disk quotas)

Dahak
Level 3

Hi all,

We are going to migrate user files from the Windows 2008 server to a Windows 2012R2 server.  These are all flat files such as office, text, image, etc... No SQL or other "active content" files.  Our situation is every user has a private mapped folder that has a hard quota managing it.  There are other mapped folders on the same server volume that have no quotas on them.  so, on the server, there is a F: volume, which has various folders.  One of them is users, and under users are department subfolders.  Under that folder are individual private folders.  Each private folder has a hard quota.  There are NO other folders with quotas, so the quotas are NOT disk based, but I believe are called file and folder quotas.

My question is can Backup Exec backup and restore this particular quota setting?  I know you can restore disk or volume quotas by going into the advanced area of a restore and checking restore quotas, but that did not appear to work for restoring a folder quota.  Has anyone actually restored this type of quota in BE?

Thank you,  Mike.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I don't think the quotas are part of NTFS you are probably running FSRM on Windows 2008 and this is providing the quota management.

If this is true I am not sure you can restore FSRM quotas on Windows 2012 as I am not sure the facility is available.

First step to understand what you can and cannot do is find out exactly what you are using for quota management in Windows 2008, and then do some research into whether the same options is supported or available on Windows 2012 R2 and then if it is possible you need to do some more research into how to migrate the user data including the quotas.

Backup Exec is not a migration product so whilst we probably can backup and restore quotas for a full DR of the original server, it is possible you can only get the quotas back by recovering system state after the file system and a system state backup can only be restored to the same operating system version (and servername) so cannot be migrated.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I don't think the quotas are part of NTFS you are probably running FSRM on Windows 2008 and this is providing the quota management.

If this is true I am not sure you can restore FSRM quotas on Windows 2012 as I am not sure the facility is available.

First step to understand what you can and cannot do is find out exactly what you are using for quota management in Windows 2008, and then do some research into whether the same options is supported or available on Windows 2012 R2 and then if it is possible you need to do some more research into how to migrate the user data including the quotas.

Backup Exec is not a migration product so whilst we probably can backup and restore quotas for a full DR of the original server, it is possible you can only get the quotas back by recovering system state after the file system and a system state backup can only be restored to the same operating system version (and servername) so cannot be migrated.

Dahak
Level 3

Thank you Colin.   That answers my question.  It seems FSRM can be downloaded and installed for 2012, but it does not save the information in a format that can be restored from a flat files only backup.  Appreciate the reply.  Mike.