cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring files from Backup to disk folder

Simon_Scott
Level 4
Hi

This should be any easy one for you experts!

I do a backup-to-disk every night then copy the contents onto an LTO3 tape

I now need to do a restore but seem to be struggling. This is what i have done

I have done a catalog on the tape and can now see this in the restore window but all i can see is loads of BKF files what's my next step??

Thanks

Simon
9 REPLIES 9

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
In your current situation, you need to restore the BKF file(s) to a B2D folder, then inventory the folder, then catalog the BKF files

For future reference, do not do a standard  backup of the B2D folders.  Do a DUPLICATE job instead.  That way, you can restore directly from tape

Simon_Scott
Level 4
Hi Ken

Thanks for your reply

You say do a duplicate job, what do you mean exactly, run it at the same time (sorry for being so vague)? This would help me no end

Simon

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
When you create a job, one of the job type selections should be DUPLICATE

Simon_Scott
Level 4
Hi Ken

I am struggling a bit to restore from the disk as we spoke about earlier, here's what i done......

I put the tape in and did a catalog. I was then able to see the directory i backed up. I then did a restore from the tape back onto the servers HDD. I could not however see this within the restore window, which is where i would expect to see my files. When i clicked on the B2D folder i had quite a few BKF files and to do a catalog on all these files would take a while!

Also i have looked on Veritas for the duplicate button when creating a backup job and cannot see it. How does the duplicate work?

Thanks

Simon

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You restored the BKF files to a B2D folder, right?

After that you need to inventory that folder, then catalog those BKF files.  That's the only way to tell BackupExec what those BKF files contain

As for DUPLICATE See the v9.1 Admin Guide, page 307  

Mike_Kehm
Level 4
I agree with Ken's suggestions about doing the duplicate job to Tape afterwards.

If all else fails with cataloging the bkf using Backup Exec your other option would be to use NTBackup to restore data from the set of bkf files on the HDD.

Good Luck,

Simon_Scott
Level 4
Hi Ken

Thanks for your reply

Yes i did do a restore of BKF files to the B2D folder, then i did an inventory followed by a catalog. But there were 384 BKF files so to right click and catalog all of them would of taken me ages or am i missing something????

Anyway i have setup the 'duplicate backup sets following a job' for tonight so shall see what happens

Thanks

Simon

Simon_Scott
Level 4
Hi Ken/Mike

I setup the duplicate to run but it didn't appear to work. The job started as it should of done but the byte count didn't increment and it ran for around 20 hours, any ideas????

Simon

Mike_Kehm
Level 4
When setting up the Duplicate backup job which option did you select when setting up the "New job to duplicate backup data"? If you selected the option to "Duplicate backup sets following a job." this should allow you to select the job to duplicate and set the destination to another location (ie. B2D or Tape source). There isn't many other options to set as it is simply a basic task.

Is the job failing or does the job appear to be continuing for the 20+ hours with no apparent end in sight? Also does the 1st job backup to the media server or is it on a separate node? If it is on a separate node then try restarting the Remote Agent if you haven't already done so, could possibly be a communication error between the media server and the remote agent. You might try running a small test job with a duplicate job as well to make sure it works properly.

Please note any Application event logs and/or error messages within BE... anything to help with resolving this issue.