cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring files to another computer

ravishankarappa
Level 4

I have files from PC1 backed up using BE 12.5. I like to restore everything from all the tapes currently in the tape library to a another PC (PC2). Can this be done? Do I need to install an Agent on this PC2? PC2 is a Windows 2008 R2 server and has Raid Array Dell MD1000 attached to it. I plan to decommission PC1 eventually but need to transfer all files to newer PC (PC2).

-Ravi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Ravishan,

For it to work, you need to install the RAWS agent on that second PC. WIthout it, even if you try a redirection and find your second PC, it is going to fail.

Install the RAWS agent via a push-install, and then do the redirected restore.

Laters!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

digsaw
Level 4

Look at the "Redirection" tab in the BUE Restore window (when not starting in wizard mode).

CraigV

Hi Ravishan,

For it to work, you need to install the RAWS agent on that second PC. WIthout it, even if you try a redirection and find your second PC, it is going to fail.

Install the RAWS agent via a push-install, and then do the redirected restore.

Laters!

theseng99
Level 4

Hello,

Yes, you need to install agent on that PC also.

Please do this step.

1. go to you backup file and select it.

2. go to redirect restore tab and type your destination server.

ravishankarappa
Level 4

Indeed, thats what happened when I tried yesterday.

I was going to post my failed attempt, then I saw your message. Thank you so much!. Do I need to buy another agent license to install on the new PC? Since I'll be throwin away the old PC anyway, it seems like waste of money to me.

ravishankarappa
Level 4

Ok. I'll install agent and follow the procedure. Two PCs are backed up on tape and I only need to restore fiels from one PC to a new PC. Thanks again.

Ravi

CraigV

...to comply with licensing agreements, you would have to purchase a RAWS agent.

I would suggest just confirming with the Symantec licensing department that all is OK to do this temporarily. I wouldn't be able to say you SHOULD use it temporarily...

ravishankarappa
Level 4

Additionally, the new PC is running Windows 2008 R2 Server (64 bit) as opposed to the "will-be-discarded-soon" PC is running Windows 2003 server. I wonder if that makes difference too as far as re-using the same RAWS. I was contemplating doing a full backup of old PC, uninstall agent, install the agent on new PC and restore on the new PC. In this case I will not be violating license agreements, however, it means stopping all activites for my group for couple days. 

CraigV

Hi there,

Any news on this? If you were helped, please close this off with the solution being marked.

Thanks!