cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring from an archived Backup-to-Disk files

Ed_crossley
Level 4
We are trialing the use of backup-to-disk using backupexec 10d. B2D jobs run and store data on an array. this is then in turn backed up to tape. The following evening the B2D folders are overwrote with the latest data.
How do we go about restoring information for a remote server from the B2D files held on tape?
We seem to be encountering problems restoring the info to a 'RESTORE' B2D folder and then trying to catalogue the restore folder.
Help!

Kind regards

Ed
8 REPLIES 8

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Rather than doing a standard "COPY" backup to tape, do a "DUPLICATE" job instead

This will create a logical copy of the backup data on the tape, and you can restore directly from tape, rather than having to restore to disk, then restore user data

Ed_crossley
Level 4
many thanks for replying Ken
do you think a duplicate job scenerio would help us out?
We have 5 backup jobs that back up to an array (12 servers in each job) and 2 lto3 drives attached to the media server. Full data amounts to about 1.2TB. We have to get our tapes offsite by mid morning. B2D works overnight and then the array-to-tape jobs take about 30 mintes. Would having duplicate jobs increase the time it all takes? With there only being 2 tape drives to 5 B2D folders, would this create a problem?
Any helpful advice would be much appreciated!

Regards

Ed

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

- What is the exact error message that you receive?

- How have you configured your jobs? Could yo� please elaborate?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.

********************************************************************************************************************

Ed_crossley
Level 4
Hi

We have 5 differential jobs running that backup to 5 separate B2D folders.
It appears that every time the jobs run, they overwrite the B2D files that were created the previous night. So say a job utilised B2D000408.bkf as the first file in a B2D folder, the following night the same file (B2D000408.bkf) will be used again. Backup Exec only seems to remember the last use of file B2D000408.bkf. So when i restore the folder from tape containing a previously used B2D000408.bkf file Backup Exec knows nothing about it and i can't seem to catalogue the restored B2D folder (called 'RESTORED' to distinguish it from the original)

Running a catalogue job on the 'restored from tape' B2D folder results in the following message:

Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe0000900 - The requested media is not listed in the media index and could not be mounted. To add the media's catalogue information to the disk-based catalogues, run an inventory operation on the media and resubmit the Catalogue operation.
Final error category: Backup Media Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-2304

Does that explain things any better???

Regards

Ed

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
you can set up policies so that the DUPLICATE to tape starts as soon as the B2D job finishes, so I would think that you should be able to meet your mid-morning deadline with no problems

Ed_crossley
Level 4
Thanks Ken
I shall give it a try.
I think you are right, it probably is the best way to progress things.
I'd still be intrested in some sort of resolution to the process of using a archived B2D folder as a restore option.

Kind regards

Ed_crossley
Level 4
Sorted a trial of the 'Duplicate Sets' job and it works. Obviously there is an increase in the backup window but that has to be expected. Also, as we have 5 jobs running to 2 tape drives, we don't know which job will finish last so that we can set it to eject the tapes!

Just a quick question: Can someone explain why the size of data in the duplicate job is smaller than the original data in the B2D job?

Kind regards

Ed

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

Refer the link :

When running a catalog, the following error is returned: "0xe0000900 - The requested media is not listed in the media index and could not be mounted. To add the media's catalog information to the disk-based catalogs, run an inventory operation on the media and resubmit the catalog operation."

http://support.veritas.com/docs/280017

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.