cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring information from tape created with SBS version of backup exec

rogerv
Level 3
The scenario is:
One real SBS 2008 server, backup is performed to tape using Symantec Backup Exec 12.5 for Small Business Server suite. For the purposes of disaster recovery. A virtual copy of the sbs server is held off-site ant an alternate location. The virtualization Host is running MS Hyper-v. Due to the limitaion of hyper-v the guest SBS server cannot use the attached tape drive for restores so the host operating system will have to do these. My question relates to what version of Backup Exec plus agents (if any) we need to allow restoring from the host OS onto the guest (SBS)

REgards

Roger
5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
The differences between SBS and Standard BackupExec are strictly licensing.  As such the RA for the DR location needs to be at the same level as the original media server (or perhaps one level lower.  See the SCL for specifics)

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

As I understand:
1  : You are installing SBS in a test environment as a Guest hyper-V Machine.
2  : Hyper-V limitations : Cannot access the TAPE Drive connected to the Host OS.

Your Question:
How to restore SBS from TAPE Backup

1  : Do you have Exchange, SQL...etc on the original SBS and do you want to restore them as well?

rogerv
Level 3
Dev T

There will be exchange installed on the SBS virtual server. It's not a test environment as such (it's an image of an existing sbs real server, acting as a DR option). We will probably be wanting to restore files, folders and exchange information onto the the virtual sbs in the event of a DR. I'm thinking that i would need a copy of BE 12.5 for the host server plus remote agent plus exchange agent for the SBS virtual box - though this might get quite expensive..?

Regards

Roger

rogerv
Level 3
Does nobody know the answer to this ?.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
 We will probably be wanting to restore files, folders and exchange information onto the the virtual sbs in the event of a DR. I'm thinking that i would need a copy of BE 12.5 for the host server plus remote agent plus exchange agent for the SBS virtual box - though this might get quite expensive..?

Sounds right.